Word of the Day: Survival | Teen Ink

Word of the Day: Survival

By jbarrera70 BRONZE, Mico, Texas
jbarrera70 BRONZE, Mico, Texas

“All our dreams can come true...if we have the courage to pursue them.”
--Walt Disney

There comes a point in everyone’s life when we all have trouble moving on with our lives; we feel as if the only thing left to do is quit. There’s nothing else left, like the world would be better off without us and as much as we try to forget the past it always seems to stick along for the ride. We feel as if we’ve accomplished nothing with our lives and even though we have plans for future we have no idea how to follow through with those plans.

I used to think like that, but with much help I have realized that I have people all around me, family I can talk to, family I can trust. Family that I would die for! Family that would die for me! It amazes me how we can all mesh together towards one common goal, the sweet taste of victory. Even though it took me forever to realize this, we all have to learn that things happen just because they happen; there’s no stopping it there’s no controlling it. It’s fate, destiny if you will.

What you can control is how you live your lives, to the fullest or just going through the motions. We all have things we regret doing or not doing, and we all know that regret is something that never goes away. It stays with us for the rest of our lives. So don’t do things you’ll regret, but, also, don’t keep yourself from doing something that you’ll regret not doing later. That can be just as painful.

Life is a gift from God himself; it’s something special, something amazing. You all have the potential to be something great, but it is up to you to take full advantage of that potential. You all have dreams, things you want to accomplish, but again it is up to you to do everything possible to reach those dreams. I’ve seen all of you do amazing things, crazy things, things I thought were impossible. I am so proud, so proud of each and every one of you, and it is an honor and a pleasure to be a part of this team and program we have at Medina Valley. Take measure of what you have here; look at your brothers around you because when all this is gone, when the black sky on this earth rolls back, and the lights go out for the last time, one another is all we are going to have. Maybe each other is all we ever had in the first place. Take care of your selves, but more importantly take care of the guys next to you, your brothers, your family.

Life goes by fast, so live every day like your last; present turns to past, and when it ends all turns to silver glass. You get one chance at life, one shot so why not give it your all. Through all the pain and the trouble in my life I’ve learned three things: how to live, how to forget, but most importantly, and with much help from the people I love… how to survive. You know who you are and I am eternally grateful for your help, and if you need anything just find me.

Thank You

Future Article