One Girl's Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Most people thought that my idea of wanting to try out for the boy's high school hockey team was crazy. I felt very positive about it because making the team was something I really wanted to do. When I was a freshman at Somerville High School, I felt as though I had the power to make at least the junior varsity hockey team. Although I thought trying out for the team would be a great idea as a freshman, it took me nearly three years to fulfill my dream. During my freshman and sophomore years, I was on a roller coaster ride emotionally. I would think of all kinds of ideas to help me make the team and to help raise my confidence to its peak. Then, before I knew it, my confidence had disappeared and I would back out for a period of time. This caused me to have to start all over again, to regain any confidence which I needed to give me the willpower to attend the tryouts.

I recognized the pros and cons of being on the team; tried to figure out if I would be well received by the coach. I wondered if I would even get ice time during the games. Also, I was most concerned about how the other team members would react to having a girl on the team.

Finally, midway through my junior year, I had raised my confidence to its max, and I wasn't going to let anything change my mind. I even had my friends behind me giving me that extra little push by telling me to go for it, and not to back out. The big day came; it was the Monday after Thanksgiving, 1991, when I had to present myself at the ice skating rink for tryouts. I skated to my fullest potential throughout the entire hour, and it paid off because I didn't get cut. I was told to be at the second tryout session which would last for two hours. Again I skated all out and, because of this, I made the junior varsity team.

Finally, after three years, I completed something that I had wanted to do for a long time. As the season went on, I became more and more appreciated, not only by the coach but also by my teammates. I did not get any special attention and this is exactly how I wanted it. I preferred to be treated just like "one of the guys." Making the team was great! Now that I made the junior varsity this year, I am going back next year to try out for the varsity. Once I do this, I feel I can really do whatever my heart wants to do as long as I put my mind to it and never back out. n