No Room For Women | Teen Ink

No Room For Women MAG

No Room For Women
by G. S., Congers, New York
The Silver Bullets minor league baseball team from Florida is a joke. I have not seen them play, but from my own experience I can't imagine they could be that good. Women playing baseball is like men playing softball; the two don't go well together.
Girls are allowed to try out for the boys' high school baseball team, but boys aren't allowed to try out for softball. I think women should get their priorities straight and play softball. They should form a professional softball league with women running it. I think if women were allowed to play professional baseball, it would be a disgrace to the sport and baseball would lose many fans.
There are a couple of reasons I think softball is better for women. In baseball, they pitch between 84 and 99-miles-an-hour. If a woman ever got hit by the ball, she would not get up from it. In softball, the pitch comes in no faster than 85-miles-an-hour, and it is a much bigger and softer ball. I do not know a girl who could hit a baseball 314 feet out of the yard. Women are used to playing on 60-foot basepads and a 40-foot mound, not 90-foot basepads and a 60-foot mound. Finally, in softball, the pitch is underhand. In baseball, the player has .079 seconds to see the ball coming from the pitcher's hand. I don't think women can do this because they are used to slower pitching.
There really is no place for women in baseball, unless a couple of men have a sex change. I know women might get offended by this, but those are the facts. Women should just stay out of baseball and play softball. I'll have to take it from the words of the Silver Bullets manager "The ladies are just not at the level of competition that the men are."

on Sep. 24 2013 at 8:31 am
BurrThistle GOLD, Jaipur, Other

Write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect

No offence, but sweetie, this is the 21st century. Women are no longer restricted to 'soft' or 'easier' games. I agree with wilkison, Women are just as athletic as men.  

e.wilkison said...
To start, in softball the ball is much bigger but it is not softer then a baseball. I play fastpitch and trust me, it comes in mighty fast for being only 45 feet away. think about a ball coming at you about 75 miles per hour from 45 feet away. compare that to 90 miles per hour 60 feet away. it is practically the same time to see the ball in baseball that it is softball. To add onto everything, women can take it hit. All those girls that do play baseball and get hit get right back up so i dont know what your talking about. women are just as athletic as men are. No doubt about it.