Mountain Biking | Teen Ink

Mountain Biking MAG

One sport immediately comes to mind when thinking of all the new, growing sports in this country - mountain biking - a fast paced, challenging, extremely exciting and easy-to-enjoy sport. It consists of riding an all-terrain bike (knobby tires, upright seating position, rigid, front suspension, or full suspension frame) over off-road trails and courses. Prices of bikes range from $200 to $5,000. Rigid bikes (unsuspended) are generally cheaper than one with front or full suspension, which can reach lofty prices in the $4,000-5,000 range.

There are three types of riding: cross country, downhill, and trials. Cross country riding is over a long course with terrain varying from uphill to downhill or mud, sand, rocks and dirt. Cross county courses range from three to 30 miles. Bikes used for cross country are rigid, front suspension, or cross country with modified full suspension. Downhill is riding down a mountain as fast as you can. Downhill courses are short (two to three miles) and very bumpy - so bumpy, in fact, that only a full-suspension bike would be suitable, although front suspension can be used. Trials riding is very different from cross country or downhill because it is more like doing tricks and stunts. In trials riding, you have to jump logs, ride on balance beams, and do wheelies and bunny hops.

Mountain biking is fun because you can explore remote terrain and enjoy the beauty of it all while getting exercise. Mountain biking is challenging because when off-road, you have to overcome many obstacles, which can be hard. For me, mountain biking means freedom, excitement, thrills, exercise, challenges and off-roading.

On the whole, I recommend that anyone try mountain biking because it is a great way to exercise, compete and have fun. l

Arapp BRONZE said...
on May. 18 2009 at 7:42 am
Arapp BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
you forgot many styles. Biking isn't just three differently styles. There is dirtjumping, slopestyle, downhill, freeride, cross country, cyclecross, all mountain.