Should The Noise Level In The Nba Be Toned Down? | Teen Ink

Should The Noise Level In The Nba Be Toned Down? MAG

On October 19, the National Basketball Association agreed to put a limit on the amount of noise from sound effects and public address systems during games. This action was taken to reduce distraction to players and coaches and to ease the affects on fans' ears. From now on, because of distracted players and coaches, the noise level in stadiums cannot exceed 85 decibels. This new regulation still allows sound effects, but they are only to occur when the home team has the ball. Even so, it is not going to be the same. Sound effects are allowed when there is no action such as after the ball is shot. But as soon as the ball is back in play or has been touched, the noise must stop.

I don't like this new rule at all. The whole point of home games is having the advantage of the fans' noise and support. Also, part of the fun of going to games is taking part in the action with screaming, chanting and sound effects.

As for the players, the noise should not bother them. First, the players are getting paid millions of dollars to concentrate on the game; therefore, they should not be distracted by the noise. Second, if the noise does anything, it should encourage the players, especially the home team. After all, aren't the fans supporting and cheering them on to do well? The players should be thankful for the cheering and encouragement we give them.

Because of this rule, the N.B.A. will change a little for the worse. The main thing that will change is the condition known for years as "home court advantage." l

bay_JP SILVER said...
bay_JP SILVER, San Francisco, California

Be yourself. Everybody else is already taken.

I'm a Warriors fan, and enjoy making Oracle Arena the toughest place to play for visiting teams. This is very well-written and I agree with your essay. Great job.