Point Guard Play In The Nba | Teen Ink

Point Guard Play In The Nba MAG

By Anonymous

   The point guards of today are very different from those of ten years ago. Point guards, in the early years in the NBA, had the role of producing assists and running the offense. The only offense they contributed to was if those they passed to scored. Now things have changed.

The point guard has become a major part of a team's scoring. When given the opportunity, they must take and make the open jumpshot. This shot has moved farther away from the basket and is usually somewhere behind the three-point line. You won't find any point guard in the NBA who can't shoot. Also, the point guard has become the most devastating penetrator in the game today. The point guard must be able to beat his man off the dribble and get to the basket. From there, he must be able to finish the play. Although the point guards of today are doing more scoring and becoming more selfish, they still must fulfill their true roles - passing, defending, and setting up the offense. Defending is also now a large part of the point guard's game. With the opposing point guards being more offensive-minded, the defensive point guard must be able to stop him.

Some point guards of today who fulfill these requirements are Anfernee Hardaway, Tim Hardaway, Gary Payton, John Stockton, and Mark Price. Anfernee Hardaway uses his size to post his man up and score from the block. Tim Hardaway uses his lightning quick cross-over to break his man off the dribble. Gary Payton uses his quickness to be considered the best defender in the game. John Stockton, who is the all-time assist leader, finds the open man better than anyone. Finally, Mark Price's deadly shooting makes him a threat from anywhere on the court.

As you can see, the game has changed since the time of Pete Maravich and Walt Frazier. The point guards of today are more athletic and offense minded. This is just one example of how the game of basketball is constantly changing and will continue to do so. l