Gymnastics | Teen Ink

Gymnastics MAG

By Anonymous

   When I was five, my parents made a choice that would affect my life. They put me in a gymnastics program, for which I am grateful.

I started at the beginner level, once a week, where I learned the basics of gymnastics - how to walk across the balance beam, how to swing on the uneven bars, and to do forward rolls on the floor exercise. Then I moved to the intermediate level. Now I could do jumps and forward rolls on the beam, cartwheels on floor, pull-overs on bars, and squat-through vaults. I loved learning new skills. Such excitement.

After two years, I made the huge step up to the "team." I had to learn many tricks, and the routines that accompanied my class, which was Class IV-B, where I competed for six months. I competed well that year, and even qualified for the state competition. Ever since my first meet, I have loved competing.

When I was eight, the levels in gymnastics changed. Before, Class I was the hardest and Class IV-B was the easiest. Then it changed - Level 4 became the easiest and Level 10 the hardest. When I was eight, I became a Level 5 gymnast. I had to work out longer and develop a more extensive skill repertoire. In addition to regular practices, one of my friends, Rachel, and I were chosen to practice with the "big kids," the older, more advanced gymnasts. They were good role models for us. Pretty soon I was able to compete at the State and Regional levels.

Before 1993, I had never really won a major meet. At Regionals that year, I was really on. I ended up winning All-Around for my age group, and two individual events. This meet was a turning point of my career. That summer, I competed in my first National meet. I had an awesome time in Tampa, Florida, but didn't do too well.

Later that summer, I moved up to Level 8. One skill I needed to compete now, as an optional, was a back handspring on beam. This is a particularly hard skill for me. I was having some difficulties getting it, and life at home was confusing, so I didn't compete all year.

When I hurt my wrist, I couldn't workout for a while. This was my first major injury. I had arthroscopic surgery. I was back to working at full strength for three months when I sprained my ankle pretty badly doing a handspring on vault, so I was on crutches for five weeks. Nationals were coming up and I was sure that I wasn't going. But two weeks before, my coach told me that I could go. I was really excited. My first Nationals as an optional! I had a terrific meet and placed sixth on beam and eighth on floor. A couple months before, I was seriously considering quitting. Because of my injuries and not competing, it wasn't fun anymore. Practices were such a drag. Competing in this meet reminded me of the rewards of participating in this sport.

I was able to compete in all the meets during 1995. I enjoyed competing, and I didn't have any memorable "bad" meets. I tried to be consistent in all of my practices, which paid off. I placed eighth on beam at Nationals that year.

I have decided that I am going to continue gymnastics at least through high school. I am also looking at the possibility of a college scholarship. Overall, I think that gymnastics has had a positive effect on my life. l