Wrestling For The First Time | Teen Ink

Wrestling For The First Time MAG

By Anonymous

   This is my first year wrestling and my first year on the team. It has not even been a full week of practice and already I am exhausted and swamped with work. I have also been told by upper classmen that it's been easy so far, and it'll only get harder. I know a lot of that is nonsense, but some of it has to be true.

Even though these practices have been full of gut-wrenching labor, I still think it's fun. I know I have begun building stamina and toning muscles. More than any other sport, wrestling works a variety of muscles. Flexibility, stamina and strength all seem equally important. After only three days, I have already noticed myself doing better in my classes. Right after practice, I start my homework. After finishing, I eat dinner and go to bed. I have time for nothing but school and wrestling.

Practices consist of warm ups: stretches, jumping jacks (about 50), push-ups (around 200), diamonds - another kind of push-up (about 50), arches (held for one to two minutes) and sit-ups (about 200). After 30-45 minutes of warm-ups, we either run for two to three miles or start in on the mats. Here, the freshmen learn the basic moves, consisting of reversals, takedowns and escapes. For additional muscles and joint pain, we've just started working in the weight room with a combination of free weights and machines.

Wrestling is a great sport because it takes a team to win, but when you are in the ring, it's one on one. So far it's been an interesting beginning and it appears that it will only get better. I recommend this sport to anyone who is interested in toned and well-developed

muscles. l