A Run To The Sunrise | Teen Ink

A Run To The Sunrise MAG

"Oh, man!! I don't like this!" Looking over at the alarm clock, I can see the dreaded time - 5 a.m., and wonder what would possess someone to wake up this early just to run? Grumbling tiredly like a troll awakened from a deep sleep, I climb out of my rickety bed and turn off the siren of death. Looking around at the window, a sense of gloom permeates me as I realize that it isn't even light yet. "Why me? I don't want to do this!" Finally after I shake off my bad mood, I get dressed.

When I roll into the parking lot at 6 a.m., I am the third person who has been crazy enough to come. Staying in the warm car, I wonder what the drill sergeant (and coach) has for us to do today. Finally everyone arrives and I climb out of the warm vehicle into the cool, crisp air. Saying hi to everyone, I slowly start warming up for the dreadful run that is sure to put me in my grave. After a quick jaunt around the tennis courts, I'm ready.

"Run to the bridge, and then we'll run to the church," the coach says to a bunch of zombies who normally represent people.

After starting to run I slowly start to loosen up and don't feel that bad. Looking up in the sky I can see the moon in all its glory, shining over the stars and letting the earth know of its great supremacy. Stars are still shining brightly, and looking in the eastern horizon I can see a faint glimmer that represents Venus which will shortly be invisible in the emerging light.

After arriving at the church we receive the great news that we are to run another two miles down a deserted road. Almost begrudgingly I start off and am joined by a couple of freshmen. Talking and encouraging my fellow runners, we continue on the course toward the light.

Have you ever seen the sky slowly lighten in the early hours of the morning? Well, if you haven't, you are really missing out. It has been a long time since I had the need or desire to see the sunrise in its fullness. Watching the dark blue of night fade away and pinkish light invade the horizon is the best. This is the life! The creation of this earth is a wonder only known when you take the time to watch it. As has been said, "Life is not a spectator sport. If all you're going to do is watch, you're going to watch your life go by without you." With me, running and life are pretty synonymous. Each run presents a new horizon that is waiting to be discovered. l

EeBRA BRONZE said...
on May. 27 2012 at 12:43 am
EeBRA BRONZE, Mattapan, Massachusetts

"Don't count the days, make the days count." Mohamed Ali

very interesting, i like the way you took your time writing it,,,it sounds like something special from your heart