Unbelievable This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Unbelievable by Matthew Ford, Williamsville, NYThis past baseball season was the most exciting in many, many years. With Mark McGwire's 70 home runs, Cal Ripken Jr's 2,632 consecutive games played streak's end and the New York Yankees' 114 wins, this season has been the most active in the past 100 years.Some of the players whose names were in the headlines include: Kerry Wood, with 20 strikeouts in one game, and David Wells who pitched only the 13th perfect game in major league baseball history. Alex Rodriguez had 42 home runs and 46 stolen bases (only the third man to get 40 home runs and 40 stolen bases in a season after Jose Canseco and Barry Bonds) while Sammy Sosa had 66 home runs and 158 RBI. Don't forget Dennis Eckersley's 1,701 appearances, setting a new major league record and Barry Bonds, the first player ever to accumulate 400 home runs and 400 stolen bases in a career. Not to be outdone, Craig Biggio is only the second player ever to have 50 doubles and 50 stolen bases in a season and Rickey Henderson became the oldest player to steal 50 bases with 66 at age 39. Last and certainly not least, Curt Schilling became only the fifth pitcher to ever strike out 300 batters in consecutive seasons and Jeff Kent hit 128 RBI (and 121 last year), becoming only the second player ever to hit for more than 120 RBI in consecutive seasons. A list that long and impressive gives me goosebumps.The wild-card races and the playoffs this season have been great to watch. I don't think that this season could ever be eclipsed. It was truly unbelievable. l