Summer Diamond Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Unknown
   How many people can spend their summers getting down and dirty with some of theirbest friends? I do, and I love every minute of it! For years, my summers havebeen spent on softball diamonds around the United States.

When I was tenyears old and just four feet tall, my mother put a glove in my hand and sent meoff to play with the big girls. My life hasn't been the same since. I've spenthours at catching clinics, pitching clinics and hitting clinics. I've broken twofingers on the same hand in two summers. I've been hit by pitches, line drivesand bats. I've had the sun glaring in my eyes, dust swirling in my mouth, rainpelting my head, and water pooling around my feet. And I wouldn't trade it foranything.

I am a summer diamond girl. I play the game because I love it. Igive up the beach, the mall, the movies or just hanging out. I play against girlswho are in college to help me improve. I sleep in dilapidated motels withfunky-smelling rooms in the middle of nowhere because that's where the tournamentis. I travel 200 miles to play a Saturday game at eight in the morning becausethat's the schedule. I have a 9 p.m. curfew because that's my coach's rule. I doeverything I can to improve because I don't want to ride the bench. I live forsoftball.

Summer diamond girls are a breed apart. You know us when you seeus - we're stronger than most girls and have more fight in us. We never give upand we never give in. We hold our heads high, as well as our bats. We keep ourgloves down, and our butts, too. We cheer each other on because there is no"I" in "team." We excel at what we do because we work harderthan other people. We are summer diamond girls.

Most of us don't have asteady boyfriend; we don't have time. How does a boy understand that I wouldrather play softball than hang out with him? Or that the most important man in mylife is my coach? Or just as I would never ask him to miss a game to spend timewith me, neither should he ask me to do the same? Because I am a summer diamondgirl.

We don't sing "Take me out to the ball game." But sing wedo: "Hit it for me, baby, hit it, hit, hit, hit it." In our repertoireare 20 cheers. One of the joys of traveling around the country is hearing a newcheer, bringing it home and adapting it to our team. Also high on the list ismeeting new friends and visiting interesting places.

When I was 12, myteam traveled to Orlando, Florida where we won the Walt Disney World Wide Worldof Sports Thanksgivingfest Tournament. We competed against teams that practicedyear round, while our glorious New England weather limits us to six months ofoutside ball, at best.

Last year, my team went to Virginia in the middleof July to compete in the PONY Nationals. Although we suffered some injuries andhad a very disappointing tournament, we grew as a team. We also had theexperience of pin-trading for the first time. The kids liked it, but for some ofthe parents (including my mother), it became an obsession. The pins I collectedare attached to a souvenir towel and have a prominent place in my room. A specialsmile crosses

my face when I see them. They remind me that I am a summerdiamond girl.

fdsahjkl said...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:12 am:
it was kindda good but a little cheesy

sexy123 replied...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 10:39 am :
gurl wat is u talking about a little good u must be crazy.im just playin.

buggsy112 said...
Jun. 9, 2011 at 11:24 am:
Hey i am get ready to read this story so i hope that it is not bad.

BADdNEWSz..de3de said...
May 20, 2011 at 12:57 pm:
IHTsz A VERy GUDd STORY Bt...VERY TIRING ...

Abby said...
Apr. 26, 2011 at 6:59 am:
This made me think of how I like to play softball(: I realy liked it.

Esa Shorty said...
Apr. 19, 2011 at 7:32 am:
Thisz Isz straight. I Liked it but it was hard to read, especially cusz dah wordsz were too close together. Well, anywaysz i like thisz story. but i wouldn't give up mah friendsz just to play softball. :) hah, good luck with that :]

kenneth partain said...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 9:49 am:
ok who ever wrote this story obviously had trouble with the spacebar....not meaning to be a nuisance but it was kinda hard to read and  guess what you were trying to say at the same time......but it was a good story overall..... :)

PaintedRocks This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love softball too! The only thing is, I suck at it because I'm completely uncoordinated. You are really lucky to be able to do this. Also, the writing was great!

Mr M said...
That sounds like a lot of fun and alos very tiring, but it's probably worth it.

hjkgh said...
I sounds JUst like my mom volleyball. very descriptive

lenglick said...
There was soome incorrect punctuation.

anonymous chick replied...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 7:14 pm :
the actual essay has perfect punctuation because i remember reading it in my reading book in 6th grade 6 yrs ago

Britt:) said...
Your story was really good.Very intresting. You must like softball alot to not hang with you friends during the summer!

nose fart said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:01 am:
in the summer diamond girl story there ws some incorrect punctuation and confusing

DenVerZ_DoP3sT said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:22 am:
You Write very good and I get what your saying

annabanana13 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:13 am:

your story was really good, and showed that you are really commited to softball, which is a good thing!

Volleyball10 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:29 am:
I thought this story was good. It is really cool how you are commited to softball. I love sports too.

PolkaDotz said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:28 am:
I like this story because I contains a lot of details, It really lets you picture the place it describes or how this author is feeling.

Bubblegum(: said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:13 am:
I really like this story...especially your concluding sentence about the pins you collect and how they remind you of the fact that you are a summer diamond girl(:

tiedyeelaine123 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:11 am:
I liked your article, you really explained the difficulties in team sports. It was also interesting to hear about the places you've traveled.

mrs stephens said...
this is a good story to read u must read it all to understand.