NFL Research Paper | Teen Ink

NFL Research Paper

December 10, 2009
By Anonymous

The Game That Changed the United States
“There is a difference between conceit and confidence. Conceit is bragging about yourself. Confidence means you believe and you can get the job done.” says John Unitas.
The conceit in people only assures them a strong attitude and a massive ego. Confidence on the other hand will be the player who believes they are good enough and have the ability to finish the game. The professional football players believe that they are too good to not be paid the incredible amount that they already are given, and America’s economy is strongly impacted by the NFL. The National Football League has given countless citizens jobs, including those that play professional football. It also provides amazing leaps socially in society along with the entertainment factor. Even though America’s society thoroughly enjoys watching professional football games, people hardly realize the impacts the National Football League has on the country.
When the National Football league was beginning to morph into something huge, there was a great deal of other political, social, and economic situations taking place. Politically during the establishment of the NFL, amendments were being passed and conventions were being held. The president that held office during this time was Grover Cleveland. The Platt Amendment was being passed along with the happening of the Anglo-Boer War in the commencement of the new football league. Another political matter that was taking place was the reelection of President McKinley, nominated by the Republican Party. They used “Prosperity at Home, Prestige Abroad” as a platform, while “the full dinner pail” was their slogan. Socially, the United States was very minute before the NFL. There was not nearly as much gambling or entertainment before football went professional. There were no video games that represented any of the players on the field, nor were there any television channels that broadcasted the games. For the duration of the time that the NFL was created, the United States was economically stable. Even though there was a depression ahead, the United States was doing acceptably well economically. The NFL would soon change who relied on the money shelled out by the sponsors and owners of the league and stadiums. Various people, before the National Football League, did not rely on the millions of dollars they are given to work at the stadiums or play professional football today.
The National Football League has many positive entertainment factors but little do the people of America realize the economic impacts it has on our country, or furthermore, the world. Many of the taxpayers throughout the United States find that they are arguing about paying taxes because of where their money is being spent. Taxes are meant to support their communities and improve roads or other important hazards, yet much of our money is being used to pay for colossal stadiums and massive parking lots. The NFL is a major money-spender, whether it is spent among the stadium costs or the costs of the playing time of the players. Economically, the professional league of football uses a lot of money as a whole.
Also another economic impact of the NFL is the extra activities that take place within the stadiums. Not only do the football games bring in tons of hard cash but also they bring other such as concerts or speeches. In 1999, Baltimore released a report entitled "Impact of the Baltimore Ravens Pro Football Team on the Maryland Economy." This report was based on the 1998 season. It showed that based on the various activities associated with the Ravens Pro Football Team and other events held at PSI Net stadium Maryland yielded an estimated total of $202 million in gross expenditures, $96 million in personal income, 2,772 Full-Time jobs, and $11.6 million in selected state receipts from taxes and miscellaneous incomes. (Maryland Dept. of Business & Economic Development) A third and final impact on the economy that the NFL has is it would help certain tax revenues. When the fans of the professional teams go to see their favorite games many enjoy supporting their team by wearing team apparel. These items, when purchased at the stadiums, have a tax on them, when the fans buy their favorite apparel at the fan shops, they are truly helping the community to fix roads and other community jobs paid for by taxes that are paid.
Another way the National Football League has affected the U.S.is a social matter. Whether it is the tourism, advertisements or the advancements in video games and television, the NFL has left a foot print on America socially. An example of the impact the NFL has on tourism is when people all over the country travel to go watch their favorite teams play football. The majority enjoy a cold beer and the intense roughness of the crowds during the football games. The competitiveness and massive stadiums full of people are an example of the way the NFL has changed the U.S. socially. Numerous people also enjoy watching the football games on television. Today there are a huge number of advertisements and channels that have to do with the football games taking place. When the big game is on television on Sundays, a lot of families enjoy having small parties. Kids from California to Maine are enjoying the advances in technology. The NFL is helping to make video games for children’s entertainment world wide. Madden is a good example of how professional football has impacted the progression in technology.
Lastly, the NFL has impacted both physical and mental health in the sports games played today. The professional football league has influenced men to use steroids to improve their athletic ability. The athletes are competitive towards each other and are always competing for the top spot. In hopes of being number one, the steroid abuse is used to help them excel. As Randy Cross likes to say, “The NFL, like life, is full of idiots.” Another way that the NFL has impacted America’s health is the violence in the games and crowds. The populace of America is into gambling their favorite teams in hope of winning even more money. The fights that break out are a result of angry people whose teams’ could not make the cut. The consequences for such actions are broken bones and bruises along with the involvement of the authorities. Also, the men on the football field tend to get to into the game. Fights sometimes break out between men that are too competitive or have too big of egos. Now that many men have suffered serious injuries from being too violent in the games, we now have the luxury of safer equipment to use on the football field. Helmets, pads, cleats and even referees have advanced due to the commencement of professional football.

America today is a country that enjoys watching professional football, but rarely do those people realize how much the NFL has impacted their country throughout the years. The National Football League has impacted our economy because of the money being given to the players and the stadiums. The United States is also impacted socially by the NFL. Many can be found stuck in front of the television playing Madden ’09 or watching the big game. Also, no one can forget the gambling, violence and safety impacts that the professional football leagues have helped to change, for better or for worse. Despite the fact that the NFL has its entertaining qualities, it could change minds about its importance when people realize the impacts it has had on the country.


The author's comments:
It's an overview of how the NFL began and how it impacted the United States throughout history.