One Ball. | Teen Ink

One Ball.

By Dominga13 BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada
Dominga13 BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada

Its not how big you are. Its how big you play the game.

One ball. One yellow ball with string was all it took. What is this ball you may ask? Why, it’s much more than just a ball, its life; it’s a softball.

Eight years ago is when this little ball of wonder took over my life. Little did I know that this ball would not only bring me joy, but it would bring me peace and safety. When I have a softball in my hand I feel unstoppable! With this ball I can throw up to speeds of 56-58 mph. I have the courage to dive, slide, and fling myself into the air; just so I won’t let the ball roll by me. When a ball is hit off a bat my body takes over. My muscles know what to do they don’t need my brain. After a play I don’t even know where I am, all I know is that the ball I securely in my hand.

I have traveled all over the United States for this ball, this game. I guess that’s all the ball really is. A game. It is a game that messes that with your head and strains your body. For, some days I want to shove the ball into a closet and never open the door again! But on other days softball is my only escape.
When you have a softball in your hand people don’t judge you by your: hair, clothes or shoes; but by what you to the plate.

i was inspired to write this piece when i read a former teenink submitters work, on softball. i hope my piece can inspire someone else to write about the sport they love.