It's Not About Winning | Teen Ink

It's Not About Winning MAG

When I step onto the soccer field, my heart beats a little faster. I jog into position at left fullback, and glance around. We have a throw in. Possession is lost on the throw, so I mark the striker. The stopper has stolen the ball, and the man I was covering moves toward the play. My eyes dart to the ball, then my teammate. He needs someone to pass to. The hair on my neck and arms begins to rise and I get goose bumps as I sprint into a space, shouting for the ball. He plays a beautiful ball into the space. I have plenty of room, so I dribble quickly down the left-hand line.

Both teams move with me, one man closing in. I inhale sharply, jerking my head to the right. Two men open in the middle, one in front of me. I decide to go for the cross and strike the ball with my left foot, curving it over the first player's head. Too much, I think. I keep moving forward in case I am still needed in the play, watching the ball. My second teammate settles the ball with ease and expertly turns around a defender. I can feel my heart pounding as he deftly strikes the ball with excellent curve, sending it to the lower right corner of the net. A grin spreads across my face as the team crowds around him and celebrates as we move back to the half-mark.

Several comments of "Nice ball!" and "Great shot!" can be heard from the bench. We know that we are losing, we just love to play.

jumbo shrimp said...
on Oct. 21 2013 at 9:57 am
I play soccer two. My heart beats also get faster before the soccer game. This year is my last season and we have to win the games for going to sectional but there is very strong team. So sometimes we think much of how we played than the results. It is the best to win strong team but it's difficult. So for strong team, we try to play our soccer even though we know we lose. 

aaaaaaaa said...
on Oct. 21 2013 at 9:52 am
I agree that you will feel nervous when you play game. I also feel nervous when I play game. Is there any method to overcome the pressures?  I play tennis. I also feel nervous before match starts. I often listen to my favorite music before it starts. When you overcome the pressure you can play in best condition. Probably you will have same situation like this, however I believe that you can overcome hardships in the future. I believe that you can play well on the field.  

PotNoodle03 said...
on Oct. 21 2013 at 9:46 am
As I was reading this story, I was able to imagine myself on the field very clearly because I had the exact same situation like that in my soccer team. I play left full back for my soccer team at school and we had a game we were losing. But, we scored just as you described it in your story, and I could feel what you felt then. My team slogan is similar to this story's content; we've got to enjoy the game.

aaaaaaaaaaa said...
on Oct. 21 2013 at 9:41 am
I agree that when you play that makes you excited and nervous. I also become nervous when I play sport. Especially playing match or game there is pressure.Do you have any method to overcome pressure? I often listen to my favorite music before match starts. If you have another methods please teache me! Probally you will have more pressures in the future but I belive that you cam play well on the field.

SeaN said...
on Oct. 21 2013 at 9:39 am
Your discriptions made me like if I was on the field with you! I play lacrosse, so I understand the exitement when you run all the way straight into space.
Assisting and scoring are the best moment we can have in our life. I just love to play lacrosse, and yes. It's not about winning. It's about enjoying sports!