Marathon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Five, four, three, two, one: it's on. The race against the clock, myself, and others. As one of Arrowhead's 2,400 kids, what makes Julia stand out? Strong, driven, and opinionated are the words that could describe me. ­Energetic: how could 26.2 be accomplished without it? As I wait, my heart begins to race. I move. It has begun. But it is only the beginning. Twenty-six point two miles to go.

Just keeping one foot on the ground and the other moving forward, on and on. I feel the sweat run down my face. Tired and worn out, people start to fall back. Twenty miles to go.

The race drags on. It feels like it will never end. The legs begin to burn. I think to myself, Don't walk, don't walk, don't walk! Ten miles to go.

Mile 20. Nothing can stop me now. Running becomes easier than walking. The pain runs down my body – it aches. The thought runs through my mind – Please get this over with! But then, I think, Wait, youthful and energetic. It's you. Think how you'll feel in an hour. Keep on fighting! Five miles to go.

I've made it: the end is only one lap away. I can do it. People are cheering and the adrenaline builds up. “You've made it!” I hear my family say. “Keep it up, Julia!” Zero miles to go.