Cheerleading is a Sport This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The New York Times states that cheerleading is the fastest growing girls’ sport, yet more than half of Americans do not believe it is a sport. In addition, they fail to distinguish between sideline cheerleaders and competitive ones. Sideline cheerleaders’ main goal is to entertain the crowd and lead them with team cheers, which should not be considered a sport. On the other hand, competitive cheerleading is a sport.

A sport, according to the Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Advisors, is a “physical activity [competition] against/with an opponent, governed by rules and conditions under which a winner is declared, and primary purpose of the competition is a comparison of the relative skills of the participants.” Because cheerleading follows these guidelines, it is a sport.

Competitive cheerleading includes lots of physical activity. Like gymnasts, cheerleaders must learn to tumble. They perform standing back flips, round flip flops, and full layout twists. Cheerleaders also perform lifts and tosses. This is where the “fliers” are thrown in the air, held by “bases” in different positions that require strength and cooperation with other teammates.

Just as basketball and football have guidelines for competitive play, so does competitive cheerleading. The whole routine has to be completed in less than three minutes and 15 seconds and the cheerleaders are required to stay within a certain area.

Competitive cheerleaders’ goal is to be the best. Just like gymnasts, they are awarded points for difficulty, technique, creativity and sharpness. The more difficult a mount or a stunt, the sharper and more in-sync the motions, the better the score. Cheerleading is a team sport so without cooperation and synchronization, first place is out of reach.

According to the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research, cheerleading is the number-one cause of serious sports injuries to women. Emergency room visits for cheerleading are five times the number than for any other sport, partially because they do not wear protective gear. While many athletes are equipped with hip pads, knee pads, shin guards or helmets, smiling cheerleaders are tossed into the air and spiral down into the arms of trusted teammates. The fliers must remain tight at all times so that their bases can catch them safely. Also, because cheerleading is not yet recognized as a sport by many schools, neither proper matting nor high enough ceilings are provided to ensure safety. Instead, the girls use whatever space is available. More recognition of competitive cheerleading as a sport would decrease the number of injuries.

So why do many Americans not think cheerleading is a sport? It cannot be because cheerleaders do not use balls or manipulate objects (if you do not count megaphones, pompoms and signs as objects). Wrestling, swimming, diving, track, cross-country, gymnastics, ice-skating and boxing are recognized sports that do not use balls. Some people argue that cheerleaders are just “flirts in skirts” with their only job to entertain the crowd, but cheerleaders today compete against other squads and work just as hard as other athletes.

Competitive cheerleading is a sport. It is a physical activity that is governed by rules under which a winner can be declared and its primary purpose is to compare the skills of participants. Hopefully, cheerleading will become as well-known a sport as football and basketball, and even appear in the Olympics since cheerleaders are just as athletic and physically fit as those involved in the more accepted sports.

loudsilence said...
Cheerleading is definately a sport. Cheerleading truly requires a lot of hard work. I used to not believe that cheerleading was a sport because I thought that all that it required was waving pom-poms in the air. Once I saw competitive cheerleading, I realized that it required a lot more physical activity and practice than I realized.

JessJess96 said...
I'd have to agree with you. This is indeed a sport! A dangerous one at that, and I'm speaking from experience from a failed lift in 6th grade where I was the spotter.. :/

inspir3d This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

It's sad how politically correct everything is these days. i agree with you that competition cheerleading is a sport,  but if you have to put the word COMPETITION in front of it...well...

Competition laundry folding, anyone?

RejoiceTheySay... replied...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 2:18 pm :
haha! thank you!!

Josiejoee said...
I'm a cheerleader at my school on the competitive squad it's my first year and it's actually really hard instead of lifting normal 50 pound weights you life 100 pound living people...

emilyawards said...

People SUCK at this arguement!

Get to the point. What makes a sport? A competition between two or more teams, a set of rules, and athletic activity.

Therefore, there is NO possible way cheerleading can't be considered a sport. End of argument.

Also, to you amazingly conceited gymnasts who spend hours trying to belittle cheerleaders, SHUT UP. Just, shut up, really. Gymnastics and cheerleading are NOT the same thing, NO ONE ever brings this up except for those certain stuck... (more »)

Cheersmylife. replied...
Jan. 19, 2012 at 10:44 pm :
I'm a cheerleader and it's a hard sport. K thanks bye.

zane loves ashlynn said...
Dec. 7, 2011 at 10:23 am:
agreeeeed really hard lots of work

1213 replied...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 9:46 pm :
I think that cheerleading is a sport but my parents think that it's just mean girls shakin they're butts, but instead of shakin their butt they are workin tier butts off to stay good cheerleaders I have been trying to be a cheerleader for 11 years but my parents no matter what I say to them they will not let me be a cheerleader.

Cheersmylife replied...
Jan. 19, 2012 at 10:46 pm :
:( that really upsets me. Cheerleading is a very very tough sport! And I'm very sorry your parent feel that way. Keep trying! :)

Soccercutie54321 said...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:49 am:
How would more recognition as a sport decrease injuries? Where is your evidence?

FuzzyPeach replied...
Dec. 7, 2011 at 2:52 pm :
Cheerleading is mainly dangerous because coaches are not required to be CRP or aid certified as coaches for other sports are. Some cheer companies will hire on anyone who wants the job and fail to inform themselves about the safety aspect. then, once a cheerleader falls from trying a full layout the coach wont really have a clue of what to say and just tell them athlete to do it again. If cheerleading were to be made a sport then all coaches would be required to be certified which would in turn ... (more »)

cheerlikenotomorrow replied...
Dec. 7, 2011 at 9:03 pm :

Soccercutie54321, and FuzzyPeach,

I was a cheerleader for over 10 years and all of my coaches have HAD to be CPR and first aid certified. With that being said this did not stop any injures from happening, I myself can no longer cheer due to a chronic knee injury from cheerleading. Any coach that tells a cheerleader to simply get up and do it again should not be a coach and there should be at least one athletic trainer for any building that has a sport at it for this reaso... (more »)

RejoiceTheySay... replied...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 2:19 pm :
fuzzy peach just wondering...is your name influenced by old gregg? :p

PinkKitty said...
Nov. 20, 2011 at 9:33 am:
I agree completely, cheerleading involves lots of hard work!

ashleymarie replied...
Dec. 5, 2011 at 2:16 pm :
Agreeeeeeeeeeed.

cheer lover said...
cheerleading is a sport SMART ONES 

ilove2cheer said...
Nov. 14, 2011 at 9:36 am:
i have been a cheerleader for my whole life and who ever thinks its not a sport i would like to see you try it it is really hard to do

xocheerforlifexo<3 said...
Cheerleading is DEFINETELY A SPORT, and anyone who says that it isn't is a loser. Our high school squad cheers for football, basketball, and we compete in competitions, so if that isn;t a sport, then I don't know what is. I would like to see everyone who says that cheerleading isn't a sport come and do our routine and stunts and get back to me. It is hard, and takes a lot of hard work and dedication. I love this sport with all my heart!!!!!! Cheerleading is amazing:D<3333333333333

male_cheerleader22 said...
yes cheerleading is a sport. but i disagree with what Kenziee said...you said and i quote ''no boy could ever do what a cheerleader does..." IM A GUY CHEERLEADER!