Cheerleading is a Sport This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The New York Times states that cheerleading is the fastest growing girls’ sport, yet more than half of Americans do not believe it is a sport. In addition, they fail to distinguish between sideline cheerleaders and competitive ones. Sideline cheerleaders’ main goal is to entertain the crowd and lead them with team cheers, which should not be considered a sport. On the other hand, competitive cheerleading is a sport.

A sport, according to the Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Advisors, is a “physical activity [competition] against/with an opponent, governed by rules and conditions under which a winner is declared, and primary purpose of the competition is a comparison of the relative skills of the participants.” Because cheerleading follows these guidelines, it is a sport.

Competitive cheerleading includes lots of physical activity. Like gymnasts, cheerleaders must learn to tumble. They perform standing back flips, round flip flops, and full layout twists. Cheerleaders also perform lifts and tosses. This is where the “fliers” are thrown in the air, held by “bases” in different positions that require strength and cooperation with other teammates.

Just as basketball and football have guidelines for competitive play, so does competitive cheerleading. The whole routine has to be completed in less than three minutes and 15 seconds and the cheerleaders are required to stay within a certain area.

Competitive cheerleaders’ goal is to be the best. Just like gymnasts, they are awarded points for difficulty, technique, creativity and sharpness. The more difficult a mount or a stunt, the sharper and more in-sync the motions, the better the score. Cheerleading is a team sport so without cooperation and synchronization, first place is out of reach.

According to the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research, cheerleading is the number-one cause of serious sports injuries to women. Emergency room visits for cheerleading are five times the number than for any other sport, partially because they do not wear protective gear. While many athletes are equipped with hip pads, knee pads, shin guards or helmets, smiling cheerleaders are tossed into the air and spiral down into the arms of trusted teammates. The fliers must remain tight at all times so that their bases can catch them safely. Also, because cheerleading is not yet recognized as a sport by many schools, neither proper matting nor high enough ceilings are provided to ensure safety. Instead, the girls use whatever space is available. More recognition of competitive cheerleading as a sport would decrease the number of injuries.

So why do many Americans not think cheerleading is a sport? It cannot be because cheerleaders do not use balls or manipulate objects (if you do not count megaphones, pompoms and signs as objects). Wrestling, swimming, diving, track, cross-country, gymnastics, ice-skating and boxing are recognized sports that do not use balls. Some people argue that cheerleaders are just “flirts in skirts” with their only job to entertain the crowd, but cheerleaders today compete against other squads and work just as hard as other athletes.

Competitive cheerleading is a sport. It is a physical activity that is governed by rules under which a winner can be declared and its primary purpose is to compare the skills of participants. Hopefully, cheerleading will become as well-known a sport as football and basketball, and even appear in the Olympics since cheerleaders are just as athletic and physically fit as those involved in the more accepted sports.

rashima said...
Cheerleading is a kind of dance, sport and acrobatic art as well. 

TribeCheer55 replied...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 9:37 am
Tenwyg, i couldn't agreee more. I have soo much respect for you. Well saaid.

CheerbbyK replied...
Dancers make great cheerleaders bc they do simmular stuff cheerleaders do. Im a cheerleader and starting the second week of november  I'm in practice 3-4 hours until march. usually i would have until the end of may til it starts up but this year i'm going to be trying to keep up with two diffrent cheer teams (april) and (may) im sure i'd make the teams no problems.

CHEERLEADINGISASPORT replied...
this is soooo dumb. Ive been doing cheerleading almost my whole life, and your telling me its not a SPORT? go to WORLDs, or even a state competition. seriously or a high school one even!! why are they called COMPETITIONS if its not a sport?! i want to take you people and make you lift a 100 pound girl above your head and hold her there, or maybe do a round off back handspring back tuck 34652874 times just to make sure it is absolutly FLAWLESS!? or how about do a whole reutin infront of judg... (more »)

Don't_Kid_Yourself said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 9:32 am
And why can't you wear some protective gear, huh? Not wearing anything doesn't make you brave and admirable. Injuries don't make a sport. You said it yourself, it gets the most injuries. But does that mean anything other than that you're frequently injured?

bhender14 replied...
Sept. 28, 2011 at 11:20 am
cheerleading is harder than any other sport and you dont know the first thing about it

Dont_Kid_Yourself replied...

I wasn't attacking cheerleading, I was asking why you're so proud you get injured the most. That fact in particular shouldn't be used to back up your writing. I can also injure myself by jumping on a pogo stick, or doing flips on a trampoline, but that fact in particular doesn't make it a sport. I hope that makes sense.

In the future, you (bhender14) can make statements that are true. You have no ground to stand on for either of your "defenses". Unless of course you have competi... (more »)

bhender14 replied...

i have done quite a few sports and none of them are as hard as cheerleading. cool that you can get hurt jumping on a pogo stick or whatever. its a fact that cheerleading has the most injuries im not saying i am proud that i can get hurt, i know other sports are dangerous my sister fractured her knee playing soccer.

it is just a harder sport in general.

(i dont care what you have to say so you dont have to reply)

K BYE.

CheerbbyK replied...
We cant wear protective gear. It would make it that much harder. Its hard to lift  100lbs of ass into the air. I don't want to lift anymore

Andthefrogsaid... said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 9:24 am

I'll admit it, cheerleaders probably work hard. They probably do work all season for one routine. But I don't think it's right to say it's the most difficult sport or anything that a lot of others have commented. How difficult a sport is depends on how much effort you put in. Cross country might be tough for some, but for others it might be easy. Do I make sense? If something's 'easy' you might just not be putting enough effort in. So I will give in to you, cheerleadin... (more »)

SunnySummers replied...

I definitely agree with you. Not only does "hard" or "easy" depend on the amount of effort you put in, but on the ability and natural talent of the individual in question. If two people put the same effort into a  sport but one is more talented athletically, that one will find the game easier, generally speaking.

And I do think that cheerleading can be considered a sport, under certain circumstances. I dance and, though I don't consider it a sp... (more »)

ButterflyWings21 said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 12:27 am

I really agree with you here. I'm a cheerleader myself (both sideline and competitive) and I get a ton of people always saying that it isn't a sport. I always seem to make them thing otherwise though... (:

P.S. The proper term isn't back flip, it's a back tuck. Also, I think you mean't a round off back hand spring instead of a round flip flop? Awesome Article!!(:

xelawriter97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 9:37 am
They probably knew the proper terms, but lots of people who read the aryicle wouldnt have known what that meant (and they would have had to unnesasarily explain what back tuck and others meant and that might have taken away from the flow of the article)

JimmyPage13 said...
Cheerleading is not a sport, just like danceing, music, and painting are not sports. these are arts, not sports. they can still be competetive, but they do not have specific objectives.

ButterflyWings21 replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 12:21 am
Cheerleading is a sport. Sideline Cheer might not be, but competitive cheer is.

marissa87 replied...
i want you to explain to me exactly how dance is not a sprt. I am not a dancer but my sister is and i can tell you she does just as much practice and physical activity as i do and i play travel soccer, and softball. which are both sports.

savetheplanet replied...
I'm sorry, since when was dance not a sport?  We work just as hard if not harder than the high school football team.  I'd like to see YOU dance Jimmy.

BalletGirl98 said...
I can relate. Many people in my town do not believe ballet-or dance in general- is not a sport. I can feel your frustration at trying to explain to people that it is not just pretty girls in skirts:)

allywa88 said...
I agree with this article completely and I can relate to it as well. I used to dance competitively on a team, and even though year after year we would continue to place first in every competition we participated in, we would constantly be told not only by students but also by teachers that what we did was not a sport, even though we worked much harder than the basketball and football teams. People need to start realizing that the world of competitive sports is rapidly changing, and they should b... (more »)

KylieG said...

Ok i don’t think school cheer is a sport even if they compete. They just get a routine together with a bunch of backhand springs and will compete once maybe twice. In competitive cheer we work are butts of all year to do the hardest 2:30 second routine that might look easy but you don’t know how hard and breath taking it is to be on that mat and have a few hundred people plus judges waiting for you to fail. When you fail you have to get back up and keep going like it never happene... (more »)

Katsmile2012 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I enjoyed reading this article, but I did want to clarify something.  Because sideline cheerleading is not competitive, under the definition that you provided it cannot be considered a "sport".  But please consider my story.  

I am a senior at a small (just over 100 students) high school.  The year before I was a freshman a small sideline cheerleading team was formed by a student who had formerly been a competitive cheerleader.  Because our ... (more »)