Cheerleading is a Sport This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The New York Times states that cheerleading is the fastest growing girls’ sport, yet more than half of Americans do not believe it is a sport. In addition, they fail to distinguish between sideline cheerleaders and competitive ones. Sideline cheerleaders’ main goal is to entertain the crowd and lead them with team cheers, which should not be considered a sport. On the other hand, competitive cheerleading is a sport.

A sport, according to the Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Advisors, is a “physical activity [competition] against/with an opponent, governed by rules and conditions under which a winner is declared, and primary purpose of the competition is a comparison of the relative skills of the participants.” Because cheerleading follows these guidelines, it is a sport.

Competitive cheerleading includes lots of physical activity. Like gymnasts, cheerleaders must learn to tumble. They perform standing back flips, round flip flops, and full layout twists. Cheerleaders also perform lifts and tosses. This is where the “fliers” are thrown in the air, held by “bases” in different positions that require strength and cooperation with other teammates.

Just as basketball and football have guidelines for competitive play, so does competitive cheerleading. The whole routine has to be completed in less than three minutes and 15 seconds and the cheerleaders are required to stay within a certain area.

Competitive cheerleaders’ goal is to be the best. Just like gymnasts, they are awarded points for difficulty, technique, creativity and sharpness. The more difficult a mount or a stunt, the sharper and more in-sync the motions, the better the score. Cheerleading is a team sport so without cooperation and synchronization, first place is out of reach.

According to the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research, cheerleading is the number-one cause of serious sports injuries to women. Emergency room visits for cheerleading are five times the number than for any other sport, partially because they do not wear protective gear. While many athletes are equipped with hip pads, knee pads, shin guards or helmets, smiling cheerleaders are tossed into the air and spiral down into the arms of trusted teammates. The fliers must remain tight at all times so that their bases can catch them safely. Also, because cheerleading is not yet recognized as a sport by many schools, neither proper matting nor high enough ceilings are provided to ensure safety. Instead, the girls use whatever space is available. More recognition of competitive cheerleading as a sport would decrease the number of injuries.

So why do many Americans not think cheerleading is a sport? It cannot be because cheerleaders do not use balls or manipulate objects (if you do not count megaphones, pompoms and signs as objects). Wrestling, swimming, diving, track, cross-country, gymnastics, ice-skating and boxing are recognized sports that do not use balls. Some people argue that cheerleaders are just “flirts in skirts” with their only job to entertain the crowd, but cheerleaders today compete against other squads and work just as hard as other athletes.

Competitive cheerleading is a sport. It is a physical activity that is governed by rules under which a winner can be declared and its primary purpose is to compare the skills of participants. Hopefully, cheerleading will become as well-known a sport as football and basketball, and even appear in the Olympics since cheerleaders are just as athletic and physically fit as those involved in the more accepted sports.

Don't_Kid_Yourself said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 9:32 am
And why can't you wear some protective gear, huh? Not wearing anything doesn't make you brave and admirable. Injuries don't make a sport. You said it yourself, it gets the most injuries. But does that mean anything other than that you're frequently injured?

bhender14 replied...

i have done quite a few sports and none of them are as hard as cheerleading. cool that you can get hurt jumping on a pogo stick or whatever. its a fact that cheerleading has the most injuries im not saying i am proud that i can get hurt, i know other sports are dangerous my sister fractured her knee playing soccer.

it is just a harder sport in general.

(i dont care what you have to say so you dont have to reply)

K BYE.

CheerbbyK replied...
We cant wear protective gear. It would make it that much harder. Its hard to lift  100lbs of ass into the air. I don't want to lift anymore

Andthefrogsaid... said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 9:24 am

I'll admit it, cheerleaders probably work hard. They probably do work all season for one routine. But I don't think it's right to say it's the most difficult sport or anything that a lot of others have commented. How difficult a sport is depends on how much effort you put in. Cross country might be tough for some, but for others it might be easy. Do I make sense? If something's 'easy' you might just not be putting enough effort in. So I will give in to you, cheerleadin... (more »)

SunnySummers replied...

I definitely agree with you. Not only does "hard" or "easy" depend on the amount of effort you put in, but on the ability and natural talent of the individual in question. If two people put the same effort into a  sport but one is more talented athletically, that one will find the game easier, generally speaking.

And I do think that cheerleading can be considered a sport, under certain circumstances. I dance and, though I don't consider it a sp... (more »)

ButterflyWings21 said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 12:27 am

I really agree with you here. I'm a cheerleader myself (both sideline and competitive) and I get a ton of people always saying that it isn't a sport. I always seem to make them thing otherwise though... (:

P.S. The proper term isn't back flip, it's a back tuck. Also, I think you mean't a round off back hand spring instead of a round flip flop? Awesome Article!!(:

xelawriter97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 9:37 am
They probably knew the proper terms, but lots of people who read the aryicle wouldnt have known what that meant (and they would have had to unnesasarily explain what back tuck and others meant and that might have taken away from the flow of the article)

JimmyPage13 said...
Cheerleading is not a sport, just like danceing, music, and painting are not sports. these are arts, not sports. they can still be competetive, but they do not have specific objectives.

ButterflyWings21 replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 12:21 am
Cheerleading is a sport. Sideline Cheer might not be, but competitive cheer is.

marissa87 replied...
i want you to explain to me exactly how dance is not a sprt. I am not a dancer but my sister is and i can tell you she does just as much practice and physical activity as i do and i play travel soccer, and softball. which are both sports.

savetheplanet replied...
I'm sorry, since when was dance not a sport?  We work just as hard if not harder than the high school football team.  I'd like to see YOU dance Jimmy.

BalletGirl98 said...
I can relate. Many people in my town do not believe ballet-or dance in general- is not a sport. I can feel your frustration at trying to explain to people that it is not just pretty girls in skirts:)

allywa88 said...
I agree with this article completely and I can relate to it as well. I used to dance competitively on a team, and even though year after year we would continue to place first in every competition we participated in, we would constantly be told not only by students but also by teachers that what we did was not a sport, even though we worked much harder than the basketball and football teams. People need to start realizing that the world of competitive sports is rapidly changing, and they should b... (more »)

KylieG said...

Ok i don’t think school cheer is a sport even if they compete. They just get a routine together with a bunch of backhand springs and will compete once maybe twice. In competitive cheer we work are butts of all year to do the hardest 2:30 second routine that might look easy but you don’t know how hard and breath taking it is to be on that mat and have a few hundred people plus judges waiting for you to fail. When you fail you have to get back up and keep going like it never happene... (more »)

Katsmile2012 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I enjoyed reading this article, but I did want to clarify something.  Because sideline cheerleading is not competitive, under the definition that you provided it cannot be considered a "sport".  But please consider my story.  

I am a senior at a small (just over 100 students) high school.  The year before I was a freshman a small sideline cheerleading team was formed by a student who had formerly been a competitive cheerleader.  Because our ... (more »)

Titancheer<3 said...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 1:45 am
OK ok, so maybe sideline cheering isnt a sport. i totally agree. imma cheerleader and we work our butts off. but Im on a High school team where we have to do sideline but we also do competitions. we got 8th in our state. if we did better we wuda went on to Nationals. our sideline stuff is like an easy practice. but we do both. so School Cheer is also considered a sport

Sierra M. said...

I totally agree! I am a cheerleader so I what goes into it and how hard it is and I love it but the thing I hate is that most people don't think it is a sport! If those people would go to a practice and see the stunts we do and the tumbling that is put into a thing such as competion I think it would make them finally believe it's a sport! I also think that it's crazy the name that the cheeleaders have at my school and I just really want to change that and make people se... (more »)

Z_Wendland said...
I enjoyed reading your article, as I gymnast, I can relate to the frustration you feel. Its funny though, because you clearly state in your writing that you do not believe that school cheerleading is a sport. Yet I have seen about 5 comments saying "YAY SCHOOL CHEER... SCHOOL CHEER..." I find it amusing that some people read a title and then comment on the work without fully reading and/or understanding.

laugh.love.CHEER said...

Your right, cheer isnt a sport.  It is WAY to amazing yo be a sport.<3 <3 <3

CHEER IS A LIFE STYLE. 

AthenaBook said...
Yes, cheerleading is a sport!!! I don't compeate myself, but my school's cheerleaders compeated in a national "cheer off" in which they had to make up their own routine, and perform it in front of others. It may be part short skirts and grabbing boys' attention, but it takes a lot of effort and creativity! You are SO right :)

SmileyRyleigh said...
Cheerleading is a sport. I've competitively cheered since i was 4, and it is by far more challengeing than ANY other sport out there. I cheer on sidelines too, and my school cheerleading team is competitive as well as the all star team i am on. All teams are at the gym atleast 3 times a week, not including crossover teams, tumbling, conditoning, and stretching classes. i would like to see a football player pull a straight scorpion, or throw a double full 4 times in one routine. Then go back an h... (more »)