Cheerleading is a Sport This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The New York Times states that cheerleading is the fastest growing girls’ sport, yet more than half of Americans do not believe it is a sport. In addition, they fail to distinguish between sideline cheerleaders and competitive ones. Sideline cheerleaders’ main goal is to entertain the crowd and lead them with team cheers, which should not be considered a sport. On the other hand, competitive cheerleading is a sport.

A sport, according to the Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Advisors, is a “physical activity [competition] against/with an opponent, governed by rules and conditions under which a winner is declared, and primary purpose of the competition is a comparison of the relative skills of the participants.” Because cheerleading follows these guidelines, it is a sport.

Competitive cheerleading includes lots of physical activity. Like gymnasts, cheerleaders must learn to tumble. They perform standing back flips, round flip flops, and full layout twists. Cheerleaders also perform lifts and tosses. This is where the “fliers” are thrown in the air, held by “bases” in different positions that require strength and cooperation with other teammates.

Just as basketball and football have guidelines for competitive play, so does competitive cheerleading. The whole routine has to be completed in less than three minutes and 15 seconds and the cheerleaders are required to stay within a certain area.

Competitive cheerleaders’ goal is to be the best. Just like gymnasts, they are awarded points for difficulty, technique, creativity and sharpness. The more difficult a mount or a stunt, the sharper and more in-sync the motions, the better the score. Cheerleading is a team sport so without cooperation and synchronization, first place is out of reach.

According to the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research, cheerleading is the number-one cause of serious sports injuries to women. Emergency room visits for cheerleading are five times the number than for any other sport, partially because they do not wear protective gear. While many athletes are equipped with hip pads, knee pads, shin guards or helmets, smiling cheerleaders are tossed into the air and spiral down into the arms of trusted teammates. The fliers must remain tight at all times so that their bases can catch them safely. Also, because cheerleading is not yet recognized as a sport by many schools, neither proper matting nor high enough ceilings are provided to ensure safety. Instead, the girls use whatever space is available. More recognition of competitive cheerleading as a sport would decrease the number of injuries.

So why do many Americans not think cheerleading is a sport? It cannot be because cheerleaders do not use balls or manipulate objects (if you do not count megaphones, pompoms and signs as objects). Wrestling, swimming, diving, track, cross-country, gymnastics, ice-skating and boxing are recognized sports that do not use balls. Some people argue that cheerleaders are just “flirts in skirts” with their only job to entertain the crowd, but cheerleaders today compete against other squads and work just as hard as other athletes.

Competitive cheerleading is a sport. It is a physical activity that is governed by rules under which a winner can be declared and its primary purpose is to compare the skills of participants. Hopefully, cheerleading will become as well-known a sport as football and basketball, and even appear in the Olympics since cheerleaders are just as athletic and physically fit as those involved in the more accepted sports.

ilove2cheer said...
Nov. 14, 2011 at 9:36 am:
i have been a cheerleader for my whole life and who ever thinks its not a sport i would like to see you try it it is really hard to do

xocheerforlifexo<3 said...
Cheerleading is DEFINETELY A SPORT, and anyone who says that it isn't is a loser. Our high school squad cheers for football, basketball, and we compete in competitions, so if that isn;t a sport, then I don't know what is. I would like to see everyone who says that cheerleading isn't a sport come and do our routine and stunts and get back to me. It is hard, and takes a lot of hard work and dedication. I love this sport with all my heart!!!!!! Cheerleading is amazing:D<3333333333333

male_cheerleader22 said...
yes cheerleading is a sport. but i disagree with what Kenziee said...you said and i quote ''no boy could ever do what a cheerleader does..." IM A GUY CHEERLEADER!

xocheerforlifexo<3 replied...
Nov. 13, 2011 at 9:52 pm :
I totally agree with you! Guys can cheer just as well as girls! I wish we had a guy or two on our squad, because a lot of them can do some pretty amazing stunts and flips:D

cheerleader1234 replied...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 2:47 pm :
Male cheerleaderes are the strength of most collages teams..

Livelovecheer<3 replied...
Mar. 11, 2012 at 8:17 pm :
Omg you are epic, male cheerleaders ROCK!!!!

Kenziee said...
Nov. 8, 2011 at 9:58 am:
I am a cheerleader and yes it is a sport no boy could ever do what a cheerleader does... they couldt last one pratice. And to all of you that think its not a sport IT IS!! We work our butts if day and day out sooo read the facts then come back!! :D

jcheergirl98 replied...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:10 am :
omg!!! you are so right. I have cheer'd for most of my life, and it is the hardest thing ever. Cheerleading is my life, and for those who say its not a sport need to go and try it, because they wouldnt last an hour!!! You dont need a ball for it to be considered a sport. Dancing is a sport and so is gymnastics, so put those together, and add amazing stunting, and your good. I am right now on 3 squads, one is my school team, one is a competition squad, and the other is sideline and competition sq... (more »)

cheerlikenotomorrow replied...
Dec. 7, 2011 at 9:21 pm :
I was a cheerleader for over 10 years, and say it is a sport, however I know that boys can cheer. when I was in jr. high we had some of the cheerleaders from the high school come down to help us, they work harder then any other cheerleader that I have seen. 

CheerLoVeR said...
I don't care that its not concidered a sport because even if it's not concidered a sport officially, The cheerleaders who have made it to the top have ovioulsy worked out butts off getting there (probally why we don't wiegh to much) We also understand that it is very competitive and when i look out into a stand I see 10 times more people at our compititions than i ever do at football games. which must mean we are respected by the people we love and care about. And there are people who respe... (more »)

CheerbbyK said...
I don't think he is dumb...just...well idk what to call it, but cheerleading is dangerous. The reason why its hard on the body is because of how we fall. When you fall from a stunt. its like falling from a twenty foot building. It hurts. (Although if the cheerleaders acually did the stuff correctly you wouldn't have to go to a sports doctor for an injury you could have avoided.)

CheerbbyK replied...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm :
that was suposed to be posed as a reply

sparkleme said...
Hey, I'm a cheerleader and I think it is a sport. We compete, we exercise, and we have teams. We are no different than any other sport. You tell them, girl!

TheIntellectualOne said...
it probably isn't recognized as an Official sport because It is one of few sports that the focus is almost completely on women. and men aren't really the ones to get involved with cheering (i can see one now.. trying to fit into the outfit), just as football is all boy (mostly) a sport in which few brave women dare to get involved with. what a bias world, In fact I can't think of any sport that gives all the attention to female atheletes excluding unisex sports. I mean PGA, NBA, NFL, NHS, and na... (more »)

TribeCheer55 said...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 9:28 am:
Cheerleading is a sport. Sideline may not be but Competitve is. Have any of you that say cheer isn't a sport even been to a competiive cheer competition before or performed? No, im sure you haven't. Im pretty positive it the most dangerous sport out there. Even my SPORTS doctor said specifically, "cheerleading is the most hardest sport for your body". Im sure half of you just know about Sideline cheer and not Competitive, well competitive is SO different from Sideline, TRUST ME. Im a comp... (more »)

TheJudge replied...
Oct. 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm :
actually i have been to a cheering compitition, as my wife is a coach and no, its not a sport. it is also no where near the most dangerous activity or the hardest on the body. i dont have enough fingers to list all the actual sports that are more dangerous or physically harder. and no, opinions shouldnt be kept quiet. whether nice or not. this country was built on voicing your opinion.

TribeCheer55 replied...
Oct. 24, 2011 at 12:25 pm :
Okay, well your dumb. So thats your problem. Im pretty sure its the most hardest sport on your body and the most difficult. Go to a SPORTS doctor and ask them, see what they say, cause im pretty sure they would tell you that its the the most hardest physical sport out there.

TribeCheer55 replied...
Nov. 2, 2011 at 12:39 pm :

Well, for one he has no clue what he is talking about. When we you people understand cheer IS a sport, and its not just a sport, its a passion, for BOYS AND GIRLS. And to "TheJudge" whe i say "cheer competition" i mean COMPETITIVE, and no, i dont mean the local ones, i means WORLDS, at Orlando Flordia, its only the big dogs, Level 5 and level 6. Go there and tell me cheer isn't a sport. Cause im sure it would change your mind. Its held in Walt Disney Worlds in the WIDE WORLDS OF SPORTS. ... (more »)

CheerbbyK replied...
Nov. 2, 2011 at 3:48 pm :
I have cheered for 7 years in competitive cheerleading (MHSAA) My Jr year of high school (last year) we made it to states. I know its hard. It takes an athleate to do the things we do. I don't care if people don't concider it a sport. Its when people tell me we arnt athleates that bugs me.

Cheerbbyk replied...
Nov. 2, 2011 at 3:58 pm :
btw states is as far as MHSAA cheer goes. And i do understand how it feels when you make it as far as you possiblly can at something you love to do. and im going to college next year and planning to compeate at disney. Cant wait. and i misscounted. this is my 6th year cheering.