Cheerleading is a Sport This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The New York Times states that cheerleading is the fastest growing girls’ sport, yet more than half of Americans do not believe it is a sport. In addition, they fail to distinguish between sideline cheerleaders and competitive ones. Sideline cheerleaders’ main goal is to entertain the crowd and lead them with team cheers, which should not be considered a sport. On the other hand, competitive cheerleading is a sport.

A sport, according to the Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Advisors, is a “physical activity [competition] against/with an opponent, governed by rules and conditions under which a winner is declared, and primary purpose of the competition is a comparison of the relative skills of the participants.” Because cheerleading follows these guidelines, it is a sport.

Competitive cheerleading includes lots of physical activity. Like gymnasts, cheerleaders must learn to tumble. They perform standing back flips, round flip flops, and full layout twists. Cheerleaders also perform lifts and tosses. This is where the “fliers” are thrown in the air, held by “bases” in different positions that require strength and cooperation with other teammates.

Just as basketball and football have guidelines for competitive play, so does competitive cheerleading. The whole routine has to be completed in less than three minutes and 15 seconds and the cheerleaders are required to stay within a certain area.

Competitive cheerleaders’ goal is to be the best. Just like gymnasts, they are awarded points for difficulty, technique, creativity and sharpness. The more difficult a mount or a stunt, the sharper and more in-sync the motions, the better the score. Cheerleading is a team sport so without cooperation and synchronization, first place is out of reach.

According to the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research, cheerleading is the number-one cause of serious sports injuries to women. Emergency room visits for cheerleading are five times the number than for any other sport, partially because they do not wear protective gear. While many athletes are equipped with hip pads, knee pads, shin guards or helmets, smiling cheerleaders are tossed into the air and spiral down into the arms of trusted teammates. The fliers must remain tight at all times so that their bases can catch them safely. Also, because cheerleading is not yet recognized as a sport by many schools, neither proper matting nor high enough ceilings are provided to ensure safety. Instead, the girls use whatever space is available. More recognition of competitive cheerleading as a sport would decrease the number of injuries.

So why do many Americans not think cheerleading is a sport? It cannot be because cheerleaders do not use balls or manipulate objects (if you do not count megaphones, pompoms and signs as objects). Wrestling, swimming, diving, track, cross-country, gymnastics, ice-skating and boxing are recognized sports that do not use balls. Some people argue that cheerleaders are just “flirts in skirts” with their only job to entertain the crowd, but cheerleaders today compete against other squads and work just as hard as other athletes.

Competitive cheerleading is a sport. It is a physical activity that is governed by rules under which a winner can be declared and its primary purpose is to compare the skills of participants. Hopefully, cheerleading will become as well-known a sport as football and basketball, and even appear in the Olympics since cheerleaders are just as athletic and physically fit as those involved in the more accepted sports.

Arti.M said...
today at 2:21 am
Great article. Even though they make lots of stunts it is debatable if it is a sport or it isn't.

MyaEH said...
Feb. 16 at 4:15 pm
i agree, it is a sport. are people too ignorant to admit some girls in skirts and tops are possibly better and stronger and have a more difficult sport than them?

_im_dora_ said...
Jan. 24 at 6:01 pm
Cheerleading isn't a sport bc None of my family is a cheerleader neither am I and me and my sisters can lift eachother up and we all can jump off eachothers hands and do a backflip then land it and we can do front flips and land them and nun of us have seen a real cheerleader in action and nun of us are cheerleaders and we don't say we have "skills" we say we have a cool HOBBY

BAh28719 said...
@sambest12498 thank you for your opinion. Although you may think comparing cheerleading and marching band is a good idea to go against the views of cheerleading as a sport. Maybe you should consider focusing on the similarities lead them both to be sports. Marching band is in fact much more than going to football games as is cheerleading, so next time don't immediately say cheerleading is not a sport.

BAh28719 said...

NotAVirgin said...
@YouAreAVirgin It's sad that your pettiness from being a virgin yourself makes you write an invalid comment with no support to it:(

NotAVirgin said...

hellohello said...
Yes, cheerleading is without a doubt a sport. It is really hard with all the flips and stunts.

YouAreAVirgin replied...
Sept. 14, 2016 at 10:55 am
cheerleading isnt a sport its for ugly virgin girls

JuiceyValencia replied...
You're my hero

Arturo851 replied...
dude is a savage

Jayden replied...
Have you ever seen one of these "ugly virgin girls" in action? Don't be so quick to judge when I can assure you that they can do a lot more than you. I know this because you wouldn't have commented that if you were ever a cheerleader. We put in just as much time, teamwork, and dedication as any football player or basketball player. Think before you open your ugly virgin mouth next time.

cheerleader.since.5.years replied...
Feb. 2 at 2:43 pm
Excuse me i'm gorgeous

readernotwriter said...
Nice article, but it's still very debatable. How are you sure that cheeringleading is a valid sport?

C.E.RothThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 11 at 3:57 pm
How are you really sure football is a valid sport? The only way something becomes a "valid" sport is if enough people believe it is. Anything is debatable, but the proof here supports that cheer leading is as strenuous and competitive as any other activity. And heck, I'm not even a cheerleader.

ilovecheer3646 said...
May 23, 2016 at 11:18 am
@sambest12498 i would like to see you preform your top dance and cheer rouyine,that has to have jumps, tumbling, and stunting,all under 2 min and thirty secs.no pressure.

cheerleader1999 said...
Apr. 12, 2016 at 11:38 am
cheerleadin should be a sport football players just through a ball we work must harder they should cheer us on while we cheer copetive

MikeWazowski18 replied...
@cheerleader1999 football players don't just "throw" a ball around.

ladybug1217 said...
Mar. 10, 2016 at 8:51 am
In my opinion, cheerleading is a sport. All cheerleaders have to keep good grades, just like any other sport player. You have to keep your grades great. Cheerleading is a sport and being in a marching band(booorrriiinngg) is not a sport. Being in a marching band has nothing to do with being an athlete. @sambest12498

murphykk replied...
Apr. 21, 2016 at 11:10 am
Marching band is a sport when you practice at 6 am in the morning till you sweating it IS A SPORT