Drug Testing | Teen Ink

Drug Testing MAG

In recent years, the number of athletes caught using drugs has increased dramatically. Not only are they using anabolic steroids to become stronger, they are also using narcotics and other illegal drugs. Several big stars have failed drug tests, including baseball greats Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi and cyclist Floyd Landis, the now-stripped winner of the 2006 Tour de France. Even though some athletes are not using performance-enhancing drugs, the fact that they are using drugs at all is a bigger problem.

Whether in high school or the major league, an athlete represents his or her sport and consequently is responsible for upholding its prestige. Athletes are obligated to set a good example. If the rules of the sport or their contract prohibit use of certain substances, they shouldn’t be using them.

If a player signs a contract, they give up their right to act as they desire. They sign on to be a role model for the sport, which includes following its rules. Therefore it is appropriate to have routine drug testing at all levels of athletics, including high school.

Additionally, the little drug testing that does occur is no deterrent for student athletes or pros to stop using. While they know that using drugs is illegal, athletes will not stop unless there are consequences or a significant possibility of getting caught. Even though the use of some drugs may benefit the team as a whole, it is still against the rules and should be dealt with harshly.

Most high school teams refuse to perform drug tests because they suspect athletes use drugs. This avoidance of the truth allows many athletes to get places they do not belong. Star athletes who use drugs are living a big lie - their fame and prestige are falsely earned.

It is important that drug testing occurs because for a school if someone were in fact caught using drugs. With the necessary precautions, constant drug testing and a zero-tolerance policy, high schools, colleges and professional sports could wipe out the use of drugs and consequently purify the world of sports.

Therefore, I believe that drug testing should be a mandatory test administered once a month. In the words of a great athletic director, “Playing a sport is a privilege and not a right.” It does not matter how good the athlete is, a zero-tolerance policy should be in place at all levels of competition.

alexisvp said...
on Jul. 31 2016 at 11:30 am
yes they may know that it is terrible for the cardiovascular system but we all know the side effects of alot of things but due to peer pressure you get sucked into doing things you know are bad for you. its like doing something that you know your parents are going to yell at you for and your'e going to get in trouble for but either your friends are doing it or you just want to do it because you know that your not going to be able to, so you do it anyways knowing that your going to get in trouble. same concept.

on Mar. 23 2016 at 11:03 am
Siearra_starnes02, Charlotte, North Carolina

"If you can imagine it dream it ,Dream it and you Will become it"

I do not agree with this article how should this be mandatory when maybe it is not just students it could be the adults that work there.This is showing that you don't have faith in the kids nor do you trust them surveys show that more parents/teachers think that a bunch of students/kids are on drugs but only 6% actually do drugs or have tried them I don't think that drug testing should be mandatory for students especially athletes because they know what it can do to your cardiovascular system when you mix it with drugs even a energy drink can hurt it instead of wasting our time drug testing students we should be focusing on more important things.

messi10 said...
never take drugs.Get your won strengh and power by going to the gym  

on May. 7 2013 at 10:43 am
Honestly i do agree just because you do drugs dont mean yur cool they should do drug testing because what is the point of cheating yourself out of something theres not a point do you see what i mean your just stating your opinion who cares what you have to say not me now goobye  

COOLguy said...
i dont agree

ballerboy said...
i agree too. kids taking drugs to help there athletic ability is JACKED UP!!! i mean what is the point of them even playing sports or other kids playing because all they are doing is cheating and it is no fun for them to try and do there best when its cheating! all im saying is dont do drugs because it will hurt you and others...

andrea_6824 said...
on Apr. 14 2009 at 12:07 am
I completely and honestly agree with this sports article. I think it is important to drug test athletes. I like how you pointed out examples and facts in this. Its important to drug test the athelets cause there are some students out there recieving awards and what not for things they dont deserve, where others are working their back ends off and recieving little to no credit. If a person really loved the sport they are playing you would think they would love it enough to put the drugs down, and change for the better. Not only for the sport but because it is all illegal. Not only that if a person is upset about the drug testing they only are because they have something to hide...

GREAT ARTICLE!!!