Soon to be World Series Champions | Teen Ink

Soon to be World Series Champions

November 13, 2009
By Daniel VanOverbeke BRONZE, Fairmount, North Dakota
Daniel VanOverbeke BRONZE, Fairmount, North Dakota
3 articles 3 photos 0 comments

One of the most successful franchises in base ball is the New York Yankees. They have won more World Series than any other team. I sincerely believe the 2009 team will bring them back to the winner’s circle, due to their terrific batting, experienced pitching, and skillful defense.

The Yankees’ lineup is filled with young energy and veteran players which provides energy and leadership. Along with this, the organization fortunately has avoided any season ending injuries to their stars. Furthermore, the team has come through in the clutch with different players providing key hits at key times.

The pitching has been excellent. With CC Sabathia, Andy Petitte, and AJ Burnett, the Yankees have more than enough playoff experience. These pitchers pitch deep into games, reducing the need for middle relief, and giving the bullpen a rest. Nevertheless, playoff teams must have a reliable closer, and the Yankees have one of the best in Mariano Rivera.

The Yankees’ defense has been near perfect all year and this will be crucial come playoff time. A good offense is only as good as its defense. Defense wins ball games; therefore, the Yankees have had one of the best defenses in the major leagues this year. This will aid the Yankees in their quest for a World Series title.

With a rich history of achievements, the Yankees are no stranger to the spotlight. To me, it is quite evident that this year’s version of the Yankees has the hitting, pitching, and defense to propel them each into prominence as the people of New York have come to expect.