Swimming

Pacing, blood is pumping, heart beating, thousands of things running through my mind. I am walking briskly up and down the swimming pool, thinking of why I did this, why I am here. I want to go home, want to crawl into my bed and just sleep. But no, I cannot do that, because I have to do this, I must.

I’m listening to the announcer’s voice in the speakers surrounding the pool, trying to identify the words racing out of his mouth. I think to myself, “I can do this, I am strong” although, it did not help my nervousness.

My friend is talking to me, trying to make me feel better, but it is just making it worse. I feel weak, dizzy, and nauseous. This is going to be difficult. I put on my cap and goggles, I get my last wishes of good luck, and walk to the edge of the pool. “3……2…..1…..” BAM! And there off, I jump in and feel the cool water rejuvenating my dry skin. I am racing, my mind about to explode from all of this pressure. I look to the side of me and notice the other swimmers a few yards away from me. I push harder, kicking with all of my might, trying to find my inner strength. I am almost done, almost there, and then… it is done.

I got 5th place. Oh well, there are good days and bad days. Not bad for my very first swim meet.

Simcoviakk said...
I enjoyed reading this article. This expressed a clear picture in my mind of how this swimmer is before a swim competition. For example, “Pacing, blood pumping, heart beating, thousands of things running through my mind." I like the descriptive words except for the word things. Maybe you can describe what kind of thoughts are going through your brain. “I jump in and feel the cool water rejuvenating my dry skin.” The word rejuvenating is a superior word that expresses h... (more »)

szmydc said...
This passaged used very descriptive words. Like "Pasing, blood pumping." and "Heart beating." Those describe what happens when you are in a race. I swim competitively and that is how i always feel even if I am swimming fifty or two hundred yards. You could have had a better picture that represented this passage. I think you should have had a swimming pool. Also when you say "I push harder, kicking with all of my might", that is what you should always do in a race. ... (more »)