Swimming | Teen Ink

Swimming

September 24, 2009
By shegirl123abc BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
shegirl123abc BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
3 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Pacing, blood is pumping, heart beating, thousands of things running through my mind. I am walking briskly up and down the swimming pool, thinking of why I did this, why I am here. I want to go home, want to crawl into my bed and just sleep. But no, I cannot do that, because I have to do this, I must.

I’m listening to the announcer’s voice in the speakers surrounding the pool, trying to identify the words racing out of his mouth. I think to myself, “I can do this, I am strong” although, it did not help my nervousness.

My friend is talking to me, trying to make me feel better, but it is just making it worse. I feel weak, dizzy, and nauseous. This is going to be difficult. I put on my cap and goggles, I get my last wishes of good luck, and walk to the edge of the pool. “3……2…..1…..” BAM! And there off, I jump in and feel the cool water rejuvenating my dry skin. I am racing, my mind about to explode from all of this pressure. I look to the side of me and notice the other swimmers a few yards away from me. I push harder, kicking with all of my might, trying to find my inner strength. I am almost done, almost there, and then… it is done.

I got 5th place. Oh well, there are good days and bad days. Not bad for my very first swim meet.