The Last Game | Teen Ink

The Last Game

By Holli Chapton BRONZE, Park City, Utah
Holli Chapton BRONZE, Park City, Utah

Early one morning I woke up and got my soccer gear on. I have butterflies in my stomach, I wonder how we will play today. Its my last game with my favorite team, the older girls. I love to play with them because they challenge me. I was sad to leave them but they had to go play high school and i couldn’t play with them. I love the feeling of my soccer jersey on my skin. It comforts me. When i got to the field the sun was bright but the air was cool. You could tell the grass was cut the night before because you could smell the fertilizer in the ground. The grass was dewey, and the water seeped through my cleats making my toes cold. The game was starting and the ref blew his whistle loudly to start. On the field it looked like a sea of blue and yellow jerseys. At half time it was 1-0 them. We were down. I drank my yellow gatorade that tasted like lemonade. Again you heard the ref blow. We started off good and were holding the other team away from the goal. Then the game was almost over. They had got fouled in the box and got a penalty kick. I hear the coach yelling at the person to take it. Then it went silent. She took, and she scored. We had lost the game 2-0. Some of us were crying some were really sad. Everyone was hugging each other and telling them it wasn't their fault. The smell of sweat hanging in the air. The touch of hands on you. Everyone was sad. But i was extremely sad because it was my last game with the team.

Simcoviakk said...
I thought this was a wonderful piece because I could relate to it. Last year, I was in the same position except in ice hockey. I would not play with the same girls on my team again. Like you, "It was my last game with my favorite team." I enjoyed my team because we were in first place and had a great season. I also liked your word choice. For example, "You could tell the grass was cut the night before because you could smell the fertilizer in the ground." I also liked how you said, "The grass was dewy, and the water seeped through my cleats making my toes cold." This paints a clear picture of how the ground affected you. In addition, how you said, “I have butterflies in my stomach..." I have that feeling a lot no matter what sport I play. This line also painted a clear picture in my mind on how you feel before a big game. Maybe when you said, "we started off good..." You could say what exactly you were doing. Were you passing well or taking good shots... Overall, I thought this piece this piece was excellent.

szmydc said...
The story was good. I can relate to it because one time I was at the world series for softball and we made it to the championship game. It was like this game, the last game I would ever play with my teammates. Like you said "It was my last game with my favorite team." I thought that when it came down to the final game. Another example is "I have butterfilies in my stomach." I was like at the last game. Very nervous but excited. Even though we both lost our games, we know we tried our best and it will always be a memory that we will keep with us forever.

renae said...
on Sep. 29 2009 at 9:27 am
it was okay

mcelronej said...
I like the story. It is pretty good. But i have a few tips. Try to make your begging longer you skip around to much. You go from talking about how you love the team to how your jersery feels but it is good. Keep up the details