Round 1 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I fear this moment will be my last. I am all alone. Everyone has vanished. It’s just me. I can hear my heart pounding in my chest. At any moment I am sure I will throw it up. I have waited for this moment. I have feared it. It has come like a roaring train, picking up speed as it approaches. It’s here now, and I can get on or let it pass me by.

I tell them my name. They hand me a red anklet. I drop to my knees to put it on. In the back of my head, fear is growing. At the same time, a wave of excitement overcomes me. Nothing in my life compares to this.

I count my footsteps as I walk to the mat; they feel like my last. My eyes meet his. He is just like me. He has prepared for this ­moment. I study the blank expression on his face; I know behind it lies fear – a fear I will bring to the surface.

“Are you ready?” the ref asks. I nod, trying hard to conceal my fear.

When my opponent shakes his head, I know it’s about to begin. The whistle blows. My heart skips a beat. It’s on.

I study his footsteps. Each is carefully placed. As I shift direction, he makes a mistake. I pounce on it and sweep up his leg. I drive as hard as I can, and hold onto that leg like it’s a million dollars.

We both hit the mat hard; I’m on top. He crawls away fast, but I hold on tight. I’m not about to let him slip away. My hand is squeezing his head and ankle. I push with all my might – so hard my body aches.

Now it’s all over. He is rolled on his back like a dead roach. I keep him down with all my strength. I can feel the blood rushing through my body, from my head to my toes. I hear the count: 1 … 2 … 3 ….

Finally, after what seems an eternity, his hand hits the mat.

I stand and look into his eyes. I can see the tears he is trying to hold back. He has come all this way and I have ended his dream. I can’t hold back my smile. My hand is raised; I am on top of the world. I have just won the first round in the state wrestling meet.

mcelronej said...
I really enjoyed reading this article, because it kept me interested from beggining to end. You did a good job by making the reader guess about what your topic was until around the third paragraph. I just kept guessing and it kept me interested to read more and find out, and when i did find out the description you used kept me interested the rest the way, how you described the fight. This was a well-written article about your fight. keep it up.

asdfadsf said...
this was a very well written piece. i loved the description in it.