Running is Not for the Faint of Heart

Running is the sport. The sport that makes you feel like you are going to die a slow, painful death every time you set foot on to the course. The sport that kicks your butt, literally. When you run Cross Country race, it’s just you and the ground beneath your shoes. All you hear is the sound of your own heart thumping against your chest. All else goes silent; the sound of the ecstatic fans, coach’s yells, your teammates cheers just disappears. All you can think is don’t stop, don’t look at your watch, and don’t look behind you. Your muscles tighten and protest. You get cramps that make you want to double over in pain. You pray to God that you don’t faint, trip, or fall. You ask yourself what the heck do I want to do this for? And when you see the flags at the end, telling you have only have a hundred feet left, you have a power rush. Your blood starts to pump harder. Your head becomes so light that as soon as you past that finish, you head straight to the ground. Then you realize the answer to your question. You did it because of the accomplishment. The feeling that you did something that most of the people you know never will do. That you beat time. Running is definitely not for the faint of heart.

210003 said...
Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:53 am:
I felt this way before too. Sometimes you finish a game and don't know what I did it for. I think it is similar to all other sports. There are people your are competing against, but there is also yourself that you hvae to beat. Even if you don't get a better time them others and lose. The important point is that yo ufinished the race or game.

runnergirl1 said...
Dec. 19, 2011 at 10:21 am:
So true! The detail is superb. I understand exactly what you are talking about as I also run cross country.

cavalier87 said...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 1:06 pm:
cool article

sundevil44 replied...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 1:07 pm :
indeed.indeed

Alex K. said...
I didn't realize what it was like to be in cross country, I never would have guessed the kind of feelings you would get, thank you for enlighting me.

Mitchell replied...
Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:16 pm :
I'm glad I enlightened you on the situation! Thanks for the compliement

Mitchell replied...
Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:17 pm :
I mean comment! Sorry haha

couch potatoe said...
wow...good job.

VucelichK said...
I Was entertained by this piece in several ways. I like when you mentioned that all sounds go silent. Thats very true. Unlike most sports you do not hear your coach yelling and whistles and fans. All you here is the footsteps of your fellow runners. I loved the sense of accomplishment part. I play sports to fell good about myself and to accomplish a victory. I wish you added to your piece. Great Work!

Mitchell replied...
Oct. 2, 2009 at 11:11 am :
Thank you very much for your comment! I will think about adding another part to this or creating another piece that follows along in some form or way. Thanks

Sadiesays: said...
MITCHELL!!! I love that article! :) im so glad you got on the front page!! it makes me wonder why i quit! show that to coach k haha

penelope said...
Sept. 15, 2009 at 11:56 am:
I would love to run with you.

amyxu said...
Amen to that! By the way, nice writing. I could visualize all the blood, sweat and toil very well. It's a nice vignette.

favorite fan said...
Sept. 9, 2009 at 7:48 am:
I can't even imagine. You go girl. keep it up.

Joegirl2418 said...
i know exactly how this feels =] you step up to that line and wonder what the heck you're doing there, then you cross the other line and the pride and joy is overwhelming. thanks for this =]