Nothing Else | Teen Ink

Nothing Else

I woke up. It was 4:00 in the morning. I got dressed and opened the fridge. Empty. It's like this everyday. I picked up my bag and got on my bike. It was a long bike ride, probably like 2 miles, to the courts. This is the only time I can really get to practice, I can't go at 6 because that's when they come out and I don't want any problems. The court is beaten up, rusty with no net and the floors are extremely dirty. That doesn't bother me though. I started my drills. I'm always in constant thought while playing up here. Always worrying if someone will come and take my bike, or if they come out. This is the only way I can stay out of trouble. Basketball. The dedication has to be there. I can’t waste any time, or my life is ruined. I left the courts and got to school. My grades are really poor. I don’t have anyone to support me, I'm basically on my own. After school I head back to the courts. I get there and start the grind immediately. I'm drenched. It’s 10 pm and I head back home.12 pm is when they come out. Once I get back home I'm hitting my pushups, sit ups and pull ups. Im working on my ball handling, doing film study all to make myself a better ball player and make it out of my area, trying not to get involved with them. The next day I repeat this. Again.

About a true story, not only one person experienced this, many people did.

In my set piece I tried to show a story of a young boy where basketball was all he had to make it out of his area which was molested with gangs. I used the pronoun “they” and “them” to represent the gangs. Basketball was his only safety away from drugs, gangs and violence. I show the boy’s POV and how his day is like as well as how dedicated he is. I mainly showed what's going on in his mind. It is based on a true story. The boy goes on to play college and has a successful basketball career after.