Baseball 101 | Teen Ink

Baseball 101

November 6, 2023
By JakeYang104 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
JakeYang104 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Welcome to the batter's box!

Now you're up to the plate. You thought the pitcher was throwing 74mph and that was his max effort during warmups? Nope, he's actually committed to LSU throwing 98mph! You might need to check your pants because that is CHEDDAR CHEESE. Did you also know that's not his best pitch? Imagine an absolute hammer, a slider with a spin rate of 3000 plus, going left to right like it's levitating. That's also just 2 pitches in his 5-pitch arsenal! Don't forget his changeup, curveball, and his 2 seam that runs into you like a bull in a China shop. You got this though!

Here's the steps on how to face a top pitcher in the country:

Have a plan: When facing a top arm in the country, you're going to want to have a plan before stepping into that box and thinking, "Oh my, this is fuel." Before anything say a prayer because you are going to need it. In all seriousness though, you are going to want to calm yourself down. If that's meditating, breathing techniques, or talking to yourself, whatever helps you out. Having no plan is like not studying for a math test and expecting to get a 100, you cannot just wing it. Sit fastball, and attack.
Pick up on tendencies: You NEED to give yourself some sort of advantage. Pick up on tendencies, if that's he's tipping his pitches, or he is first pitch fastball every time. Remember the Phillies last year in the World Series against Lance McCullers Jr; he was tipping his pitches. His motion for him throwing a fastball was different than his motion for throwing an off-speed pitch. And guess what, Bryce Harper picked up on it in the first inning, proceeded to tell Alec Bohm and he proceeded to hit a homerun. The Phillies set the homerun record in a game in the World Series that night. Lance McCullers was a Cy Young candidate, the MVP award for pitchers, that year and they dominated him. This shows when you pick up on tendencies, you can hit anyone. It's easy to hit the ball when you know what pitch is coming, ask the Houston Astros. [JY1] 
Be on time for the fastball: Timing and tempo is everything. It doesn't matter if you have the best mechanics in the world, if you're not on time it doesn't matter. Load early, get your foot down, and give that baseball hell. Now this doesn't mean to rush, everything is slow to fast still. All it means is start everything earlier because you're going to need to on 98mph.
Be confident: Confidence is key. In baseball, confidence is everything. If you're not an absolute dog and don't have that mentality of being confident, you're not going to succeed. It does not matter if Cy Young, the pitcher who the award is after, himself is on the mound, when you step into the box you need to have that mentality of I'm getting a hit. That mentality of it doesn’t matter who's on the field with me, I'm the best and I'm going to show it.
Have short term memory: In order to be elite, you have to forget your mistakes. Failure is the name of this game; you're going to fail more than you succeed. Going 3/10 at the plate is considered succeeding. When you do something bad in the first inning, you have to forget that and have that short term memory in order to succeed the rest of the game. One bad play or at bat cannot determine the rest of your game.
Breathe: Take deep breaths, stay calm, stay focused, and don't overthink.
Have good plate discipline: Don't swing at bad pitches. Be patient and wait for your pitch. When facing these elite pitchers, you cannot give them any advantages. They already got the advantage on you and that's just how the game of baseball is. Swing at strikes, take balls.
Be aggressive: This piggybacks off of having good plate discipline. This does not mean to be afraid; you have to be ready to attack. Being aggressive does not mean swinging at balls, it means to have that yes, yes, no mentality. Yes, yes, no mentality is wanting to hit; it’s easier to adjust when you’re ready rather when you’re not ready. Be ready to swing until you pick up that it's a ball.
Stay loose and embrace the challenge: Tension can slow down your reaction time, so stay loose and relaxed. Being tense can make you feel pressure and that's the last thing you want on the baseball field. And remember facing a top pitcher in the country is an opportunity to assess your skills as a hitter and show coaches what you can do, remember you have nothing to lose. As Jack Harlow once said, "Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion. You sink to the level of your training."[JY2] 
Have fun: In the midst of tuff things in life, it's easy to forget the simple yet great wisdom of having fun. Remember, baseball is supposed to be fun, go up there and give your all and have fun because at the end of the day, that's all you can do.

Remember, facing a top pitcher requires a combination of preparation, mental strength, and physical strength. These ten steps are your key to success. Although, I doubt you'll remember one of these things when 98mph wizzes by you.[JY3] 

 [JY1]I chose to add this use of humor because what the Houston Astros did was a pivotal moment in baseball history (the hyperlink was used for anyone who did not know how the Astros cheated). I wanted to engage the readers by incorporating a MLB team and give that serious yet sarcastic tone. I also wanted to emphasize that when you pick up on tendencies and know what pitch is coming, it's way easier to hit a baseball.
 [JY2]Here I included a hyperlink and a quote by a popular music artist, Jack Harlow. This quote resonates perfectly with baseball because baseball is 100% mental (for people that are good). When the moment gets to big you can't try and do to much and play beyond your abilities. You need to play to your own ability or "sink to the level of your training" just like Jack Harlow says.
 [JY3]Here you can see how I use the reality of how hard it really is to hit a ball, and you cannot think about all the steps while in the box. This use of sarcasm throws emphasis on it and leaves the reader with a cliff hanger on reality. I wanted readers to get a visual and feel a presence of actually being in the box, and what goes through one's head. Nothing.


The author's comments:

This piece is about facing a talented pitcher and what you need to do to prepare. I wrote about this because I play baseball and I am committed to play baseball at Northwestern University. The time and preparation to hit a baseball is undermined and is a special work of art.