How two athletes from one running club won back to back world titles | Teen Ink

How two athletes from one running club won back to back world titles

By DannyConvery BRONZE, Edinburgh, Other
DannyConvery BRONZE, Edinburgh, Other

In the 2022 1500m world championships, Jake Wightman took the lead with 200m to go and never looked back. He defeated Jakob Ingebrigtsen for the first time, marking one of the most surprising moments of the championships.

Jake's fellow EAC club member, Josh Kerr, secured fifth place in the same race. Jake later revisited our club to share his experience. The moment was cherished, and his insights were eagerly absorbed, as we initially believed he might be our club's sole world champion. However, time proved us wrong.

Just over a year later, Josh Kerr took the lead in the 1500m world championship final, this time with 150m remaining. He continued to surge ahead and spectacularly clinched the world title. This club has also had another Olympian in the form of Chris O'Hare. Those are just a few names. In total, this club has had 40 Olympians and two world champions. These achievements prompted contemplation among millions: How did Edinburgh produce two distinct world champions and 40 Olympians?

The answer, as it turns out, is not a mere coincidence. In this article, I will explain all the different factors and provide a never-before-seen look into the success of this club.

How Do I know the answer?
I am a member of Edinburgh AC, and I train with Eric Fisher, who coached Chris O'hare, Josh Kerr and Jake Wightman. I have conducted hundreds of interviews alongside thousands of hours of research and close to a year of pondering the question in the minds of millions. I will focus on the club's recent achievements, especially those of Josh Kerr and Jake Wightman.

The Answer
The source of this knowledge arises from being a member of the Edinburgh Athletics Club, training under their former coach, extensive conversations with Josh Kerr, Jake Wightman, Josh Kerr's father, and Eric Fisher, their former coach, as well as thorough research leading to an informed opinion.

These days, we humorously ponder sending Jakob Ingebrigtsen a GB vest's back portion, as that's the only part he ever gets to see.

The Coach
What makes this story intriguing is how Josh Kerr exhibited exceptional growth from a young age. His immense talent was evident from the outset, suggesting he was destined for the top. In contrast, Jake Wightman started at a slower pace during his youth—talented but not a national champion like Josh. Nevertheless, both individuals ascended to the pinnacle of their sport.

Eric Fisher's coaching philosophy remained consistent for these diverse talents: rigorous training, consistent, easy runs, and an emphasis on enjoyment. Eric's training sessions always held a purpose; they weren't mind-numbingly regimented drills devoid of fun. Cross training like swimming was also heavily encouraged, and protein[Best protein powder for swimmers — dannyconvery.com, the best website for endurance sports] intake was always a priority

The focus on enjoyment and longevity is the cornerstone of the club's success. Winning the next month's race was secondary; Eric prioritised the athletes' long-term development.

The Volunteers
Every successful club relies on dedicated volunteers in all weather conditions.

In EAC's case, club president Yvonne Jones has contributed for over two decades, always attending a session. Eric himself, at 77, also attends twice weekly without fail. The invaluable contributions of these volunteers often go unnoticed. Josh and Jake's success might only have materialised with their commitment and that of many others in the club.

What Jake Wightman Thinks
After speaking to Jake for many hours, he was pretty surprised about the success of this club. He mentioned that the workouts growing up were brutal. Thankfully, he was very generous with his time and went into great detail when speaking about his time at Edinburgh AC. Jake was a late developer, and when growing up, he didn't win everything. He told me the club still believed he was destined for the top, and they had complete faith in him. This positive attitude, alongside the belief that Edinburgh Athletics Club puts in their athletes, is a big reason for their success.

What Josh Kerr Thinks
Josh has a world championship title and an Olympic bronze medal. He was also very generous with his time. He had picked up a slight American accent, but he still visits Scotland regularly. He was swift as a youngster, had colossal talent, and always had his eyes set on the world title. he told me that the focus on longevity was probably the biggest reason for the club's success.

Chris O'hare
Chris is an olympian and has won medals at the European championships. He has won the national championships six times in a row. Unfortunately, Chris is only sometimes recognised for his achievements in athletics. He has competed in many Olympic and world finals. Eric also coached Chris, but I have yet to speak to Eric about the athletics achievements of Chris. The club's unsung hero, Chris, helped inspire Josh Kerr and Jake Wightman. 

The Running Culture in Scotland
The triumphs of Scottish athletes extend far beyond our club. Notable names like Neil Gourley, Andy Butchart, Laura Muir, Eilish McColgan, Josh Kerr, and Jake Wightman exemplify Scotland's athletic prowess.

Edinburgh AC is not the sole producer of world-class athletes; it's the entire country, thanks to the presence of role models and fierce competition.

Inspirations like Steve Cram influenced Josh and Jake, who now inspire the next generation. The impact of these role models is reflected in the remarkable performances of current Scottish teenagers.

A 14-year-old ran a 3:53 1500m this year, an unprecedented achievement. He's not alone; four or five 14-year-olds broke the 4:10 barrier this year, a significant milestone.

Running in Scotland has become mainstream, akin to football or rugby, influencing Josh, Jake, and today's youth. This has fuelled a desire for innovation in training and recovery methods[How to recover from a parkrun — dannyconvery.com, the best website for endurance sports] like CBD[Best CBD for runners — dannyconvery.com, the best website for endurance sports], supplements[The 5 Best Supplements for triathletes — dannyconvery.com, the best website for endurance sports] or AI to help training [How to use AI for endurance training — dannyconvery.com, the best website for endurance sports] or recovery[Best protein powder for swimmers — dannyconvery.com, the best website for endurance sports]

Recruitment
The club employs numerous methods to recruit new athletes. Running is widespread in Scotland, with schoolchildren encouraged to participate in cross country.

Numerous parkruns, cross-country leagues, and local track races further nurture the sport. Most individuals dabble in running, and those who develop a passion pursue it further, ensuring that talent is identified and cultivated. The presence of numerous leagues in track, cross country, and road running and the willingness of our stars like Muir and Wightman to regularly attend these amplifies these opportunities.

Will we see more success in the future?
Scottish athletes will win world medals in the future in the 1500m and might even come from Edinburgh AC. It is an excellent club with the facilities and ability to nurture and produce a future world champion. Eric is still fit and healthy and coaching the potential stars of the future. 

In Summary
The success of our club cannot be attributed to a single factor.

Instead, it is the harmonious convergence of various elements. Foremost among these is the running culture in Scotland, reminiscent of the role models in Kenya.

The accomplishments of Edinburgh AC are genuinely unprecedented and stand as a testament to the athletes, coaches, volunteers, and supportive parents who navigate the challenges and triumphs alongside their children.

by Danny convery[dannyconvery.com]

I am a blogger from Scotland and a member of this club. This club's dominance has captured the sporting world's attention, and no one has published anything about it. That is until now. I have put URL addresses in brackets next to some specific worlds. Please change those to hyperlinks when/if you publish the piece. It would mean a lot and help my off-page SEO efforts for my blog. The URLs will be after the target word. Thank you so much.