True Value | Teen Ink

True Value

September 27, 2023
By 4hicks GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
4hicks GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My entire life has grown around the sport track and field and I do not know what I would do without it. There are many things I would like to keep, from my phone and computer to my car. However, all of those things are replaceable. Some may argue that I should take my most expensive item to save the most money although I disagree. I think I would choose my track bag. Now I don't want to focus on the physical bag. I cannot live without the sport of track and field. I have dedicated countless hours to the sport and made it my own. I have put everything into running sprints and training hurdles to become the best I can be. Without the sport, my life would not be the same. I do not know what I would have filled my time with. For the past three years, I have trained after school for hours every day here at Arrowhead, and before that, I trained at the middle school level on the Richmond track team. Without track, I would not be the person I am today. It has taught me leadership, hard work, and teamwork skills as well as the same qualities that make up who I am. Without track, I would not have the same work ethic given to me by our 600-500-400-300-200 workout, I would not have leadership skills from pushing our sprint group to finish the hardest of workouts, and I would not have the teamwork skills given to me by our incredibly close relays. As I continue my future I know I will keep running track into college which will give me a completely different college experience than attending without the sport. With this sport in my life, I will be able to gain more friends and travel the world. I can only imagine the struggles I would have to face without it. I would need to meet a whole new group of people with nothing to relate to them, and I would feel trapped when I live. 

As I have stated, I do not believe that physical things are something that I would want to save. Track has shaped who I am as a human, and without it, I do not have the slightest idea of what my life would be like. Although, I do know that I wouldn’t be me.