Players to Look Out for in the US Open 2023 Main Draw | Teen Ink

Players to Look Out for in the US Open 2023 Main Draw

By Ivanna_Zhang GOLD, Great Neck Plaza, New York
Ivanna_Zhang GOLD, Great Neck Plaza, New York

chaotic neutral.

With the US Open’s main draw starting in less than a week and the thrilling actions of the fan week at Flushing Meadow’s Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, the last major event of the year is undoubtedly going to be boiling with heat! From August 22 to August 27, tennis enthusiasts can roam around the grounds for free to see the main draw players practice, and also watch the nail-biting qualifying matches! Here are some notable players, already in the main draw, to look out for during the main draw and fan week.

Man (Main Draw):

Novak Djokovic

Djokovic hasn’t returned to the United States since 2021 due to his vaccine status, but now the restrictions are cleared, he started off his U.S.-swing with a bang! On August 20th at the Western & Southern Open, he earned himself another Masters 1000 title. At 3 hours, 49 minutes, Djokovic gained triumph against his new rival the Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz in a three-game thriller. In 2021 at the US Open, Novak suffered a loss against “The Octopus” -- Daniil Medvedev. Djokovic is undoubtedly one of the favorites of the Open. However, the nerves could get to him as it could be the historically remarkable no.24 grand slam title.

Carlos Alcaraz

With only 20 years of age, Alcaraz currently reigns no.1 in the ATP rankings. He claimed his second grand slam title in Wimbledon by beating Djokovic in a five-set thriller, arguably one of the greatest matches played this year. Not to mention the fact that Carlos was also the defending champion from last year. The Flushing Meadow crowd loves his passion and his personality! We are all looking forward to a potential Djokovic vs. Alcaraz final!

Casper Ruud

This year hasn’t been so great for Casper Ruud. Despite being in the final of Roland Garros, Ruud has only won one title of 250 in Estoril this year. He is zero out of three for his grand slam final record. On the bright side, Casper managed to advance to the final last year. So, this might be a chance for Casper to prove himself and revenge for last year’s loss against Alcaraz.

Jannik Sinner

Sinner played a nail-biting match against Alcaraz last year during the quarterfinals! The game lasted 5 hours and 15 minutes! On August 13, 2023, the Italian won his maiden ATP Masters 1000 title at the Canadian Open in Toronto. This year might be the year for Sinner to make a sensational run that is even better compared to last year! We are hoping to see another stunning rematch between Jannik and Alcaraz

Frances Tiafoe

Currently ranked no.10 in the world, Frances Tiafoe made history last year by beating one of the GOATs Rafael Nadal in Round 16. The American later went on his amazing run to the semifinals, where he suffered a loss against the tournament champion Carlos Alcaraz. Frances advanced to round three this year for all the previous grand slams. So, this might be a chance for him to break through beyond round three. Ultimately, with the crowd largely in his favor, this could be one of his greatest runs in a grand slam tournament.

Daniil Medvedev

Daniil Medvedev’s 2023 season could be considered one of his greatest seasons yet. He clinched five titles, one of them being his maiden title on clay. Moreover, he also had a great run in Wimbledon, where he advanced to the semifinals. However, apart from his success in the grass-court grand slam, he has underperformed in Australian Open and Roland Garros. With Daniil being the US Open title holder in 2021, he could bounce off from his Wimbledon success, and have another long run in this tournament.

Alexander Zverev

Zverev withdrew from the 2022 US Open after hurting his ankle against Rafael Nadal in the semifinals of Roland Garros that year. Despite recovering from a heart-breaking injury, he made some impressive runs this year. At the Western & Southern Open, he played a close match against the tournament champion Novak Djokovic in the semifinals, ultimately coming short with a score of 6(5)-7 and 5-7. The US Open this year might just be what he needs to gain back his winning momentum.

Chris Eubanks

Much like his fellow American Frances Tiafoe, Chris Eubanks influences every member of the Wimbledon crowd this year during his magical run. In the Round of 16, he beat the Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas in a five-set thriller, but his dream ended after he lost against Daniil Medvedev in the quarterfinals. However, with the electric audience of the US Open, Eubanks might recreate or even surpass his record at Wimbledon.

Woman (Main Draw):

Iga Swiatek

Iga Swiatek is the defending champion of the US Open last year. She is also undoubtedly one of the favorites this year. The Polish had three remarkable runs for the previous three grand slams: the fourth round in Melbourne, champion in Paris, and quarterfinal in London. Iga is looking to claim her 5th grand slam title in her career, and her second grand slam title this year. However, with players like Aryna Sablenka and Ons Jabeur, the run will definitely be a difficult one.

Aryna Sablenka

Aryna is another fierce contender for the trophy. She claimed her maiden grand slam title in Australia at the start of the year and has been on a roll ever since. The current world number 2 earned three titles this year. Moreover, Aryna Sablenka sits at No.1 in the Race to the WTA Finals Leaderboard with 6,910 points; however, with Swiatek and Rybakina trailing close behind, the season’s last major offers a big opportunity to lock down her number one spot.

Ons Jabeur

Ons Jabeur’s grand slam runs had been bittersweet. The Tunisian has reached the finals in three of the past five Grand Slam singles events. On the other side, she has a record of zero out of three for her grand slam finals. She lost to Rybakina last year at Wimbledon, Swiatek at the US Open, and, most recently, to Vondrousova at Wimbledon. Much like Casper Ruud, this is an opportunity for her to claim her maiden title.

Mirra Andreeva

At only 16 years of age, Mirra Andreeva is one of the fiercest competitors this year. Andreeva experienced her best season this year, with a career-high singles ranking by No. 66, achieved on 17 July 2023. During her second grand slam appearance in her career this year in London She made it to the Round of 16, ultimately falling short to Madison Keys. A long run in the US Open this year will be the cherry on the cake. We are excited to see her performance against the some of the other title contenders.

Jessica Pegula

The 29 years old American Jessica Pegula had a relatively successful 2023 season so far. She claimed her first title in 2023 on August 13 in Toronto, in a dominating 6-1 and 6-0 win. Her run in Toronto is more impressive considering she beat the world number 1 Iga Swiatek in a three setter in the semifinals. With the crowds in her favor, this slam might be her chance of claiming her maiden grand slam title!

Caroline Woznicacki

Caroline Woznicacki stepped away from the sport in 2020 due to her battle with rheumatoid arthritis that left her in constant pain, but she is back! The wild card receiver will make her grand slam debut after coming back at US Open this year. Caroline has made the finals of the US Open twice in her career (2009 and 2014). With her being back in the picture, she could pose as a threat to the other seeded contenders, and we can’t wait for her step on to the big stage again!

Venus Williams

Venus Williams has suffered a devastating knee injury, but plans on playing in the US Open. The 43 years old is a seven-time grand slam champion, and the crowds go crazy to see her on court! Last year she lost in a close match first round against Alison Van Uytvanck with a score of 1-6 and 6-7. With the crowds in her favor, we can’t wait to see Queen Venus get back on to court and make some more memories!

Coco Gauff

The American Coco Gauff is another fierce title contender. She claimed her title in the Southern & Western Open on August 20th, so she is hot going into the US Open! During her run in Cincinnati, Coco claimed her first victory on an eighth attempt against her longtime rival Iga Swiatek. This win will make her gain confidence going into the US Open. The crowds will be cheering for their fellow American!

Of course, this list only covers only a few of the notable players competing this year. Don’t miss the other players such as Elena Rybakina, Caroline Woznicacki, Marketa Vondrousova, Andrey Rublev and more!

a guide to USO 2023!