Next Gen: A Football Story | Teen Ink

Next Gen: A Football Story

June 14, 2023
By Anonymous

The last whistle blew, signaling the end of the match. Both teams are going back to their dressing rooms, however, one is cheering, and the other is walking with their heads down. Four boys are the last ones to leave the pitch. As they enter the small dark room, now filled with the smell of sweat, Mikael, a short wavy-haired boy, starts kicking the bench and throwing his bottle on the ground, shouting at his friend:

“Why didn’t you pass to me??? I would have dribbled through the defense and scored!”

The other boy, the complete opposite, is tall, short-haired, and muscular, looks back at him and calmly says:

“You were never open. The defender would have just intercepted the ball and started a counterattack. I was also marked closely all the time and couldn’t pull a shot away. It’s over now. There is no reason to cry over the loss.”

Mikael responds: “That’s not true at all, Lucas! Maybe, if you looked around, you’d see. And you, Kai! You were letting everyone gets past you!”

“I’m sorry,” he says holding his knee.

“What about you, Andrea? Do you have something to say?”

Andrea doesn’t respond. He is sitting, lost in his thoughts.

“Why can’t I score? Maybe I don’t have the skills or the physique to score.  Why can’t I help my friends instead of dragging them down? I want to know how I can improve. I want us all to achieve our shared dream of becoming top players playing for top teams. I have to improve quickly, I have to--“

“C’mon, Andrea, Mikael, we’re leaving.”

“Okay, Lucas. We’re just about to finish packing.”

 

The sun is setting. They start walking away from the field. Everything was silent. Everyone else had already left. A mysterious man appeared. He was dressed in all black, with piercing blue eyes and a stern expression.

"I have been watching you boys play," he said. "You have talent but lack the drive and determination to make it to the top."

“And who are you to judge?”, Lucas responds.

“Exactly, what he said,” adds Kai.

“For now, you can call me Coach T.”

The boys were taken aback by his harsh words, but something about the way he spoke ignited a spark in them. They knew that he was right, and that they needed to push themselves harder than ever before.

Coach T presented them with a challenge.

“I have created a special training program, designed to push you to your limits and beyond. It is called the Next Gen. It is only open to the most dedicated and skilled players. You will train both physically and mentally, however, most importantly, you will explore your abilities and combine them with your “weapon” to create your scoring formula. I know this is a big decision, so I’ll give you a day to think about it. If you believe you’re ready, come to this address at 12 o’clock.”

As Coach T was finishing, he gave them all cards with only the address on them and nothing else.

“Is it free?”, asks Kai.

“Of course,” the coach responds and leaves.

At first, the boys were skeptical of the coach, but as they thought more about it, they knew that this was their chance to prove themselves, to show that they had what it took to succeed. After all, the boys had nothing to lose so the next day, they eagerly went to the address.

 

The four were surprised to find that the address was at the top of a hill covered with trees. Apart from the amazing view, there was a big complex of football pitches in the middle surrounded by short but wide buildings, most likely the dorms. However, what shocked them, even more, was the fact that there were over 100 boys selected. From this day, their challenge had begun.

 

The program was brutal. As days went by, they trained for hours, running drills and scrimmages until they were exhausted. They had to train at the gym almost every day. They trained their legs and core until failure. They felt like their muscles were about to explode. The football drills lasted for hours. From sprinting the length of the field, dribbling through cones, and shooting drills, to actual attacking and defending scenarios that simulate real games. When they went back to their dorms, they were told to study squad and individual tactics. Coach T was relentless, pushing them to their breaking point and then pushing them even harder. But the boys refused to give up. They were determined to succeed, to show Coach K and the world that they were worthy of being top players.

Lucas, Michael, and Kai have each discovered what they’re best at and through the training have perfected it. Andrea, on the other hand, has improved overall in many aspects, however, he is struggling with finding his own “weapon”.

 

Three months later, so much had changed. Lots of people have been disqualified. Some even left because they couldn’t endure the harsh training or saw that there were players a lot better. Now only 23 remain.

Coach T congratulated them for making it this far. He presented them with a new challenge. He had created a tournament. It was open to the top teams from around the world. The winner wouldn’t win anything other than medals and a cup. The boys were confused. Coach T realized he forgot to say that every match will be broadcast globally. This meant they could get offers from clubs in other countries too.

The boys knew that this was their chance to prove themselves on the world stage. They trained harder than ever before, preparing for the tournament with an intensity that bordered on obsession. As they trained, they began to notice something strange happening. They were developing a psychic connection with each other, able to anticipate each other's moves and communicate without speaking. It was as if they were becoming one entity, a team unlike any other.

 

“Hey, Andrea. Tomorrow’s the big day, right? Our first match. We’re gonna find out who made the starting team.”

“Yeah, Mikael, I know, but I don’t think I’m getting chosen. There are players better than me.”

“That’s not entirely true. Yeah, you may not have a powerful shot, like Lucas, be the most skilled, like me, nor the fastest, like Kai – I’m surprised that he can run that fast, now that he isn’t scared of getting injured again – however, you have something none of us has, you know where everyone is at all times, and know what is most needed in the situation. You are always in the perfect spot when I need help. That’s why I think you’ll make it.”

“Huh?”

“I’m tired. You think about it, while I’m going to go to sleep.”

The next day, Coach T revealed the formation to everyone. To Andrea’s surprise, he was on the starting squad. When he went to talk to the coach about why he was chosen he said: “I chose you, because I know what you are capable of, but you don’t. The only way you will learn that is while playing. In special circumstances, talented players will enter a trance where they understand the play without having to analyze it and instinctively know what to do. You have a very special ability. I want you to “smell” where you could be the most dangerous to the opponents. From there, let your body do the trick. I believe it has now become much easier, thanks to your connection and communication with your teammates. They can help create the situation where you can score.”

“Ok, I get what you are saying, for the most part. I’ll try it.

Later, the Next Gen team was in the locker room. The coach had just reviewed the tactics with the team. Thinking back on what Coach T said before, Mikael's words came to Andrea's mind. Those words were about knowing where everybody was and predicting the play. They were true. In the training games, whenever he was in the zone, he could anticipate his teammates and opponents’ movements. He hadn’t thought much of it.

“How didn’t I realize this earlier?”

Andrea realized that this vision was his weapon.

 

The match was about to start, they were ready. They stepped onto the field, their hearts pounding with anticipation. Their opponents were some of the best teams in the world, but the boys were determined to win.  They are not who they were before. They are a new and improved squad.

Both teams displayed impressive skills, tactics, and coordination. Lucas, Mikael, and Kai had already had an impact on the game, either having scored or assisted. The match was intense and full of goals; however, the teams were still tied.

As the game entered extra time, both teams were struggling to find a way to break the deadlock.

“Lucas, here,” shouted Andrea, as he passed the ball.

“Augh, I can’t shoot. Ever since my goal, their defender has never left me alone. You try it, Kai.”

“Okay, I’ll see what I can do.”

“I ain’t letting you get past on this side anymore. We’re both fast,” said the opponent in front of Kai. The speedster had switched with his teammate to mark Kai.

No matter how fast Kai sprinted, the opponent would catch up. The next possible option was Mikael on the other wing.

 

Mikael is tired but is putting all his energy into this last attack. As soon as he gets the ball a lot of opposing players surround him. He is using every trick and skill he knows. To get behind the last defender, he flicks the ball with both legs from behind him over the defender. He then sends the ball flying into the box.

On the near post, Lucas tries to head it, but can’t reach it. It’s too high. No one is able to head it, including the opposing defenders. All hope has vanished.

Time felt like it had frozen. Andrea had imagined this scenario in his head, and he had already found the perfect moment. Now, he turned off his mind and let his body take charge.

Suddenly, Andrea, unmarked, shows up out of nowhere right where the ball is going to land. Even though the ball hasn’t landed, he is already pulling his leg back. Instead of controlling the ball and giving defenders time, he shoots directly…


The author's comments:

One of my hobbies is playing football/soccer with my friends. I also really like watching it too. This is why I wrote a story about it.