Yourself - From the Perspective of a Stranger | Teen Ink

Yourself - From the Perspective of a Stranger

By 4dassow BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
4dassow BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Their team came waltzing in like they had just won the Super Bowl. All of them smiling and laughing as if they hadn’t just narrowly escaped the semi-finals. Always shouting across the net and cheering like their lives depended on it after every point. Not a single person besides their parents liked them. Their team was good and they knew it. They were ranked 3rd best in the nation, and hadn’t dropped a set so far in the tournament. They were destined to win the championship, they couldn’t possibly lose to the foreign team in their hometown of Milwaukee. No, they were supposed to win, they were bigger, stronger, could jump higher, and could hit harder. My small, rag-tag team from Puerto Rico would never stand a chance. That was unless we were able to capitalize on our one strength. Our defense was impenetrable. We could scoop up and play out any ball driven at us. We knew that this would be a tough match, but we did not realize the sheer force they would use to defeat us.

This is a true story of my volleyball team and when we played a team form Puerto Rico in the championship of a tournament.