Second Family | Teen Ink

Second Family

My favorite part of my day is when I get together with my family…although, it is not my normal mom, dad, and siblings family. It is a sports team at school that I am proud to be a manager of. This time is contained within two hours every weekday and 24 hours on the weekends. Ever since I joined my freshman year, everyone instantly became a huge family to me. 

The wrestling team. 

Going into the first day of practice, I did not know what to expect or one thing about the sport. Would my friend and I be the only managers? Later, I found out that there would be 6 other managers who would soon become my best friends within a couple days. I was able to catch on really quickly and it became my absolute favorite sport. Having 8 managers compared to 45 wrestlers is a lot of work but I wouldn’t change it for the world. The athletes are what makes it fun and interesting whether it be at practice or when I am on the side of the mat cheering them on. 

Wrestling practice is the time I look forward to during school up until the last bell of the day rings. I spend practice doing what I love with the people I enjoy most. This includes being sociable, helping others, getting everything organized, and much more.  My favorite thing about being a manager is getting to travel with the team. This means staying in a hotel, going out to dinner, and spending a whole day at a tournament. In one season, we go to many towns around the state and even into the bordering states. I would know my love for wrestling would be as deep as the ocean. 

It is sad when we have to see the graduating seniors leave but we know they will continue to do what they are passionate about in college and I will too. I wouldn’t trade this time and memories for anything in the world.