High School Athletes Shouldn’t Undergo Heart Screening | Teen Ink

High School Athletes Shouldn’t Undergo Heart Screening

May 30, 2022
By Deesha BRONZE, New York, New York
Deesha BRONZE, New York, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

According to Infobase, "The most deadly disease truly is the failure of the heart." There are many benefits to why athletes should undergo heart screening, though this can force an athlete to quit a sport they are passionate about. Do you think this is fair? Sports keep young people healthy, providing them with good relationships and social activity. Sports can keep kids off the couch all day and keep them engaged in the World. This is why I believe that high school athletes should not undergo heart screening. 

There are many different reasons why young athletes should not undergo heart screening. An article from Our View says, "However, neither the American Heart Association nor the American College of Cardiologists supports mandatory EKG screening. The reason: There is no clear evidence that universal EKG tests would make a difference." This helps prove that there is no need for young athletes to undergo heart screening because they will not benefit from it in the future. 

When athletes undergo heart screening, there is a possibility they would have to quit the sport they love, and this would make them unfit and lazy. Even though schools want their athletes to undergo heart screening because it could save their lives, and they don't want major incidents during a match, they don't realize that, in a way, everyone participates in some physical activity throughout the day. So is it fair that only young athletes should have to undergo heart screening?

An article by Infobase says, "Some young athletes might not tell a doctor or family member about a heart disease symptom because they might be scared of being disqualified from competitive sports, and therefore electrocardiogram testing is necessary." I completely agree with this quote, though it's up to the athlete whether they want to put their health and future at risk or sacrifice some things. Therefore, I believe it should be the athletes' choice whether they wish to undergo heart screening. 

Participating in sports can provide good relationships for athletes. Many teens tend to exclude themselves from the World and lose interest in things. Athletes can build a character from playing a sport, and it also teaches them discipline, which is something every person needs to include in their lives. By participating in competitive sports, young athletes can also control their temper, and therefore, young athletes should be allowed to choose whether they want to carry on playing a sport. These are some strong reasons why a young athlete should not undergo heart screening. 

An article by Infobase says, "Electrocardiogram testing is expensive and unworkable because it is not reliable." This shows that not all athletes will be able to afford to undergo heart screening, and sometimes the results might not be reliable. 

When most people think of why young athletes should undergo heart screening, they think of all the possibilities on how to save athletes' lives. Most people don't know that undergoing heart screening can have many other risks that come with it. Sudden cardiac death in athletes is not a big issue, and it is not something schools should be worrying about because there are more essential patients doctors need to give attention to. Schools need to understand that their athletes should not be forced to quit something due to their health! Sports can benefit an athlete so much more than harm them.