Adversity Can Help You Find Your True Self | Teen Ink

Adversity Can Help You Find Your True Self

By Joseph Vaughn BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Joseph Vaughn BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

The definition of adversity from the Princeton edition Dictionary says, “a misfortune or affliction; "debt-ridden farmers struggling with adversity"; "a life of hardship.” For me adversity was just a rocky mountain I had to climb in order to strive in my high school wrestling career. Horace, a roman lyric poet, said, “Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant.” For me I turned out to be a key example of his quote.
My junior year of wrestling was a true testament to my comittment towards the wrestling team. I believe I had a spot on varsity already but things are not as they seem sometimes. I had a wrestle off for my varsity spot and I eventually ended up losing that match. That was number 1 on my adversity list; I had gotten out wrestled and needed to practice harder than ever. Number two on my adversity list was an injury that could have ended my season but thank the gods it didn’t. I had badly in juried my knee but with my strong determination to continue the season I didn’t give it a second thought.
There were many times during the season I thought about giving up but I am not known to be a quitter. My dream was to be a state champion in wrestling and it still is to this day. I started working harder, lifting more weights, and eating properly to keep myself healthy. It was almost as hard as a full time job but I fought through the grueling practices and the soreness and aches of my knee. I was just too determined to give up the chance to wrestle varsity and to improve my skills I had acquired from the pervious wrestling seasons.
So in the end with all my effort and determination I ended up being varsity for ¾’s of the season but I feel short and didn’t become a state champion. Even though I didn’t accomplish my goals I don’t blame adversity. Adversity showed me who I really was and brought out great qualities in me; I was more determined than ever, more willing to listen to the instructor or my coach, and last but not least I realized I have a great work ethic.
Next year I hope I can improve off what I have been working on and continuing striving forward. I know what it takes and I’ve never felt this ready about something ever!