Soccer Life | Teen Ink

Soccer Life

December 2, 2008
By Anonymous

Soccer has played a major role in my life. It’s important to me because I have been doing it for so long. My family and I love the sport; the whole family plays. Soccer was life changing for me because it made me the person I am today. People think soccer is just a girly sport and not a contact sport, but soccer is one of the most dangerous contact sports invented and anyone can play it. I play for the love of it.

It all started when I was five years old. My brother played for the Travel Soccer Club since he was five years old and he got me into it. After my brother went to high school, he joined the High School soccer team. He has been on varsity for four years. I watched every game that he has played and he done well in every game. His high school was undefeated.


I played for the U-9 division and went on until about U-14 division. During first year, I made the lowest team (black); I was glad I made it but I think I could have done better. In my second year, I made white (the middle level). I was on white until I was in 5th grade. In 6th grade, I made the highest level (red). I played on red until the end of 8th grade. All the years I play, I had a trainer and practice with the coach and a parent that helps the coach. When I first started, I had Jamie; as my trainer, she made us work hard but we had fun. I’ve had Jamie till I was in the U-12 division. Then, for U-13 and U-14, I had Stein. He was different and worked us way harder. If I talked while he was explaining a drill or something, he made me run a lap or two. After practice, we would always do ladders or these abs workouts. Training for soccer was always on a Monday. During my last year, my brother started to help out because he wanted our team to be good. He came to all the practices and helped us out. He came up with an amazing play; when he wanted us to do that play in the game, he would yell out a number. We tried out that play in a tournament and we were just outside the 18 box, we had a free kick and he yelled a number; we ran the play and we scored; it was an amazing goal (upper 90 left side.)
Soccer, indeed, has played a major role I my life. It has changed me in a lot of different ways. I love soccer and playing with the whole family just makes it even better. I thank my brother for teaching me how to play soccer and getting me into it. I play soccer and I play it for the love of it. I plan to do soccer for a long time; it is the only sport I want to play.