Sailing | Teen Ink

Sailing MAG

By Katie Manning BRONZE, Hull, Massachusetts
Katie Manning BRONZE, Hull, Massachusetts

Some people imagine sailing is sitting in a boat and ­gliding slowly across the water – but that’s not com­petitive racing.

I compete in lots of regattas, or sailing races, and they are not easy. We race in teams of two in a 12-foot boat. These boats, called Club 420s, were built for speed. In even just a fair amount of wind, it is hard to keep the boat from capsizing. No time for relaxing, you need to be alert and ready to react.

Last summer in the National Junior Olympics regatta, I was sailing with my partner, Ned. We weren’t used to sailing in the open ocean where there is a lot more wind and waves. At first we managed to keep our boat upright and stay on course. We were sailing against 50 other teams. Many boats were colliding because the wind was so strong.

In the last race, we were in second place with a substantial lead, but as we rounded the first marker, our boat capsized and threw us into the water. The sail went completely under.

As we struggled to get back up, we thought the other teams would laugh, but they didn’t. They stopped to make sure we were all right. Some kept going because they wanted to win, but there were many nice people who helped us. We managed to right our boat and finish the race. It was an exciting finish because we still didn’t come in last.

Through sailing I met lots of new people I know I will see again. Sailing is a great summer activity because you’re on the water, getting stronger, being with your friends, and competing against others.

I have taken many of my friends out on my boat, and they love it. My friend Giovanna started two years ago, and now she competes and does well. As for me, this is my sixth year, and I have won many regattas and can’t wait until this summer.

love2run GOLD said...
on Jul. 1 2010 at 8:12 pm
love2run GOLD, Star Valley, Wyoming

"I failed my way to success." Thomas Edison
"What kind of crazy nut would spend two or three hours a day just running?" Pre
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for." John Shedd

Great job! I love sailing so much - i have an optie (spinoff called a Sabotina), but I love sailing Sunfish and I want to race International 14s so bad!