Ralph Wilson Stadium | Teen Ink

Ralph Wilson Stadium MAG

By daisytownsend BRONZE, Auburn, New York
daisytownsend BRONZE, Auburn, New York

Noise erupts all around, deafening the onlookers. Constant chanting shakes the bleachers and everyone on them. Standing back and listening isn’t much of a choice – the environment makes screaming desirable.

Through the thick haze of frozen breath lingering in the air and the glistening specks of snow falling from the open sky above, it is nearly impossible to view the ruckus we have all gathered to see. If one can manage to see through the white blanket covering the sky, they’d see red, white, and blue plastered on the home team’s fans. The colors paint a picture that resembles the all-familiar flag that waves in the harsh winds. Those who need glasses have to ditch the accessory; they only accumulate snow. People’s legs shake violently underneath their weight, but to sit down would mean permitting the harsh elements to seep into your limbs, layer by layer. The wind whips against anything uncovered, making it pink and raw. Noses run, eyes water, and mouths dry out in the tundra-like conditions. Fingers become useless as the violent, frozen winds remove their sensitivity. Clapping is now the only possible movement the hands can engage in. The not-so-dedicated take refuge in the bathrooms, hoping the hand dryers will provide some much needed relief. Snow pants, three layers of gloves, and full face masks eventually succumb to the cold. Even through layers of dense clothing, the natural elements prevail against the body.

Although fans pay obscene amounts of money for their seats, many go unused by those who decide not to battle the cold. Excitement for the game is the only thing keeping the body warm, the only thing keeping many fans standing at all. Spectators struggle with the stadium lights. They reflect the bright, white snow, and occasionally the overpowering beams will blind an onlooker mid-play. This doesn’t phase anyone; the never-failing media screen will be sure to update the fans on any important plays. Announcers yell, trying to match the energy of the crowd. The air is heavy with the smell of liquor and french fry grease. Many use alcohol and food as a way to warm themselves up from the inside out. The widespread consumption in the arena guarantees the crowd will be rowdy. As time progresses, opposing fans turn against each other and allies bond as the superior team is slowly revealed. People talk smack, some punches get thrown – all in an attempt to protect the reputation of a person’s beloved team.

The Buffalo Bills have a weak record, but the team’s fans stay loyal and supportive. Weather can’t stop the football lovers from going out for their Sunday game. The mere chaos present at Ralph Wilson Stadium, the hardships faced just to support an underdog team, and finding common ground with a neighbor feels truly American.