Top Voted Personal Experience Articles

Here are the top voted personal experience articles:

voted
#1
The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is... (more »)
296 comments
voted
#2
The Movie That is Our Life This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     The reel begins to roll. This is my kind of movie. It has action and medieval battles, nothing that she likes. She came, though. This whole thing started three days ago, and it is different from all the others. She is different from all... (more »)
5 comments
voted
#3
Kidnapped This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
By , kent, WA
Here I was, barely 15 and stranded in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains. My cheeks were raw with tears and I was exhausted from trying to escape my two kidnappers, who pulled me out of bed at 4 a.m. and took me to Clayton, Georgia. Or that is... (more »)
17 comments
voted
#4
Up in Smoke This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I hear screams. Terror and shock – bold, intense emotions throw themselves at me. It’s two in the morning, and we’re all running and fighting the smoke. Fighting for our lives. The smoke is so thick that I can’t see more than three... (more »)
12 comments
voted
#5
Blessings and Amends This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
It was the November of second grade, and strep throat had been spreading like the plague through my class. Two girls and I were absent toward the end of the outbreak, experiencing scarlet-striped throats and aching bones. We missed an entire week... (more »)
51 comments
voted
#6
The Abyss Inside This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Napa slides by outside the smudges on the ­window. Classic farm country with the works: a tire swing, fields of grass swaying in waves, regal trees begging to be climbed, and a conservative-slant newspaper in every driveway. The music flowing... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#7
The Way of a Cherokee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
I don’t remember much before the time I lived in Shelby, Montana, with my grandparents – which is probably why I always think I spent the first five years of my life there when in truth it was really only two. Still, even those memories have... (more »)
30 comments
voted
#8
Confessions of a Cult Member This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
My name is Karen, and I am a practicing member of Metairie's own Coffee Cult. My membership in this unknown yet undeniably unique cult began when I was just 16. Previously, I held a job at the local frozen yogurt place, but I applied to the... (more »)
28 comments
voted
#9
Another Good-Bye This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The ride there was the worst part. Awkward silence and an air of discomfort hung among us. The wind whipped silently outside as the snow descended softly. I stared out the window, watching the white dust fall, trying to keep my mind off our... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#10
Quite a Mouthful This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
There is a general consensus that I'm an unusual person. It's okay – I know I'm not all there. But what I lack in common sense and sanity, I make up for with my mouth. What?! you're thinking. You've cracked. You're on drugs. Nope, but I will... (more »)
8 comments
voted
#11
The View from the Front Desk This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I am a receptionist. Other than sit around, I answer phones, disengage the alarm on the front and back doors, and call the kitchen to bring more coffee to the lobby. Being a receptionist at a nursing home means I spend the majority of my time... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#12
The Earring This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Cleaning out my closet is the chore I detest most. Each time it gets harder to let go of my belongings. When I put anything in the bag labeled “Salvation Army” or “Vietnam Vets,” I feel as if I am throwing away a piece of myself. Each item... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#13
Echoes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
As I stare at the hole in the cliff side, I can make out broken beer bottles and old candy wrappers that have almost been absorbed by the mountain. “Come on,” my dad says, stepping into the wounded hill. I follow reluctantly, treading gingerly... (more »)
voted
#14
Summer Bummer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
At some point every teen's parents ask what we plan to do during the summer. We respond “nothing.” For us it's simple. Sleeping in 'til noon, watching TV, swimming, hanging with friends, throwing parties, and staying up late is what... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#15
Anxiety Antidote This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The wind is cool on my face and my teeth are banging like cymbals in a jazz band. I might very well look like an ice cube on the outside, but impatience and anger are boiling inside; on the inside I'm smoldering. The parking lot is completely... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#16
Love, Jim This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
These two words, so simple, had me frozen in the small kitchen of my father's new condo. He had left the room for a moment, and being a naturally curious child, I was looking through the things lying on the table: his police uniform, a book, and... (more »)
17 comments