Top Voted Personal Experience Articles

Here are the top voted personal experience articles:

voted
#1
The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is... (more »)
328 comments
voted
#2
The Pact This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
We sat around a wobbly, cast-iron table outside Starbucks around 9:30 one night the summer that I was 14. Emma, Karen, Cathy, and I had just been to a movie we had since decided was a waste of $4.50 and two hours of our lives. Cathy was... (more »)
84 comments
voted
#3
Home Alone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house. I barely heard the phone ring. I picked... (more »)
350 comments
voted
#4
A Tough Lesson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
It was the end of my junior year, the weekend before prom. I was riding around that night with some friends, and a bottle got passed around the car. Everyone was taking swigs. Then the bottle got to me. With it in my hand I thought, What will I... (more »)
73 comments
voted
#5
The Holes in My Heart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
As a child in Cambodia, life was difficult. It went from bad to worse when my mother got sick. As usual, my father left us and went someplace else. I hardly ever saw him. I loved my ­father and maybe I still do. He wasn’t a nice man, though. He... (more »)
174 comments
voted
#6
Learning to Be a Lady This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
      The first time I dressed up as a woman was Halloween. Innocent enough, I suppose - costumes and whatnot. Some people dressed as ogres, the traditional witch, and, as always, multiple poorly imitated Frankensteins. I... (more »)
50 comments
voted
#7
Roller Coaster Ride This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     We are lectured about peer pressure in mandatory health education class. We are told never to give in to it. “Just because everyone else is doing something does not make it a good idea,” they say. Yes, I... (more »)
11 comments
voted
#8
Silent Cry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
      Touching or kissing you against your will, covering up your screams, and forcing you to perform sexual acts are all precursors to rape. Rape is the crime of having sexual intercourse with a person without his or her... (more »)
19 comments
voted
#9
The Dirt Bike This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
     This is the story of a time I went to my dad for help because he seemed to be the only person who believed in me.My friend Brett had just gotten a dirt bike and a lot of other kids in my neighborhood knew how to ride.... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#10
My Prince Will Come This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Standing on my tiptoes, my new patent leather shoes shimmering in the evening light, I watched eagerly as each of the freshly washed and polished cars pulled up. Daddies and daughters filed out, like little... (more »)
20 comments
voted
#11
The Notebook This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Football, red meat, power tools. Football, red meat, power tools. These three things played over and over in my head. Three manly things that kept me from thinking about … “WE DID NOT WATCH ‘THE NOTEBOOK’!” You could hear Key from... (more »)
62 comments
voted
#12
Fat Camp This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Fat camp - for most, this subject is a joke, an issue that is far from their slender lives. For some, though, it is a reality. Amidst a prison of aerobics with bars of tofu and officers of hunger pains, there are the few, the hungry, the... (more »)
11 comments
voted
#13
My Right Ear This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
      “It could kill him. It must be removed immediately.” This was the news doctors delivered to my parents before I was a year old.My parents thought I was an average baby who happened to cry a lot. When they... (more »)
7 comments
voted
#14
Secrets and Mistakes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Ten karats. One big blue jewel, the birthstone of a Sagittarian, and around it, more diamonds than you can count on one hand. Six months earlier, I was an innocent, boyfriend-less little girl with commitment issues.... (more »)
9 comments
voted
#15
Whole Milk and Cement This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
     In 10 years, my mother will praise my “social skills,” teachers will tell me I’m “well-adjusted.” In 10 years, I will be kind, slightly timid in front of strangers, immensely loyal, with... (more »)
15 comments
voted
#16
New Kid Syndrome This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     I loved my school last year. I was top of my class, student body president, in the school musical, into drama and art, on the swim team, and principal chair for band. I knew all my teachers, and I had some really good... (more »)
12 comments