Rony | Teen Ink

Rony

June 12, 2018
By Musilova BRONZE, Tirana, Other
Musilova BRONZE, Tirana, Other
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
-


I just came home from school, when I found my mom in tears sitting on the red leather sofa as she clutched her phone in her hand. I didn’t understand, what was going on.
    "Mom, what happened?"
   

I've never seen her like that before. Red eyes,  nose full, and she shuddered. I was really worried. And I knew that whatever happened, had to be very serious.
    "Rony!" She gasped between the words, "They poisoned Rony."
    I froze.
   

I was in trance. I could not believe, what my mom have just told to me. Rony was our dog. A Bernese Mountain Dog.  A big tank, like I was secretly calling him. He lived with my grandparents, because we couldn’t. It was hard, but we are visiting him every time we can.
    "They poisoned Rony with some acid. Nobody know if he's going to survive,” tears began to roll out of my eyes, "in few minutes, your grandma should call me and... "
   

I was no longer listening, what my mum had told me.
   

This must be some mistake… Some joke. I don't believe that it happened. I could not accept the cruel, damn reality.  Rony was my sweetheart, whom I really loved, and I refuse to admit that something like that, could have ever happened. But what if….. All of this is true? What if some monsters really poison Rony, and he could die? The only solution that came to my mind -  I'm going to do same thing. I will poison them, just as they did to our four-legged family member. This is a war, in which nobody forgives.
   

I did not think anymore, I dropped my school bag, which I still had  on my back and packed some things to a small backpack, I found in my closet. We have to go immediately.

 

-----------

As soon as we arrived, I directly ran to cellar. During our ride, grandmother called that the vet had arrived, but that the ‘injury’ was much worse than they thought, but still there is a little chance. Only with the help of operation. After this call, all the anger has changed to an unfortunate fear for our Rony.
    

I was an extremely naive 11-year-old child, who was just a petty kid, but at that moment, it seemed like if I had grown up for several years. When I opened the door, I saw my grandma, grandpa and my brother kneeling over a black white bear lying on a cold ground, which at least helped him to deal with the torment, he was going through. He looked at me with those hazelnut eyes that could see right into your soul. Now only the pain that he felt and the gratitude, reflected in his eyes.
   

He was thinner for at least 42 pounds. Only his skin with his fur was hanging on his bony body. I sat down next to him, and immediately hugged him, as much as I could. As soon as I buried my head into his black fur, I cried. I had an immense, indescribable fear of losing him. He was extremely important to me that I can not even describe it.
   

I kissed him on the top of his head. And  something happened I did not expect. He raised his head from the cold ground to lick my face. And with this act, I started to cry again. I knew how much pain this caused him to do, but still he did it. I gave him two more kisses, to let him know that we would be here with him. And he tried to get up. Despite all the pain that had risen in him. He did not give up and fought. He got up, stayed there like for few minutes and then he lied again. It was unbelievable.  A miracle.
   

I believed he would heal. God,  how I believed it. I hoped. I hoped that we will be able to run together again. We will be able to dance together, 'to survive’ all those sorts of goodies, that we ate all the time. My memories began to multiply in my head, and I naively thought that he will survive. I took his head into my hands and whispered, "We will fight? We will not give up,” I smiled at him with a tears in my eyes, “I love you, my tank.”

---------   

A few days later, on February 18th, 2016, Rony died. It was a day of a surgery. The vet said that Rony had his whole stomach spattered with some type of acid and that even the operation would not help him. And my grandma and grandpa agreed to let him ‘sleep.’


When I found it out, I was huddled in my room the whole day after, with tears in my eyes. When my mom came, she sat beside me and said, "Honey, I know you're extremely sad and I know what he meant to you, but you would not want to afflict himself or do you?" She smiled she left.


And I realized one thing. Mom was right. I would never want anyone to be afflict and especially not somebody whom I felt so much love. I realized, that Rony was now without any pain and looked at us from above. Although he is not here with us, we will always have it in our hearts.