My Personal impact | Teen Ink

My Personal impact

By Rregen SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Rregen SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

March, 2018 was the month I learned something. It was the saddest time for my Great Grandma and would likely never forget about it until she’s reunited with my great grandpa. That day until far after, my family was sad because he was respected because he was an awesome man. I was the one that was least affected by the passing because I didn’t get to know him enough. It’s also hard to spend time with someone who lives 1,500 miles away, but that's a lame excuse to give.

I’ve always thought my great grandpa had a wonderful life, which he did. For example, he would always pick on his grandchildren in a fun way and he would always think he was the man in charge. Also, another funny story was how he met his wife, my great grandma. Him and another guy made a bet on something and whoever won the bet would get to go out on a date with my great grandma. Then they married years later. My great grandpa loved her so much that when he was drafted into the Korean war, he painted her name on his half-track that he operated. That was probably one the best stories I’ve ever heard. When he came back from the war he worked with the Pioneer Press until he moved to the countryside. They ended up buying a from my other great grandparents today, what a coincidence, and they knew nothing about farming because one of the stories I heard was they would cut the pig tails off in the kitchen! All things come to an end sadly. When all their children grew up they retired to Arizona and would come back every summer until my great grandpa was no longer strong enough to make it that far. Which he passed away peacefully which he deserved greatly.

Everyone was feeling down because most of them didn’t get to say goodbye and neither did I. That's when I knew I was doing something wrong and so has changed me since. Unfortunately, I don’t get much time to socialize with my relatives and I just don’t have that kind of time anymore, but when I do have the time I never ask if I can go over to my grandparents for a day or night anymore. I’ll probably be going to my grandparents a lot this summer because i’m open almost every week and the summer is approaching fast, but all good times must come to an end. When my family and I would go to California for a vacation we would stop in and spend some time with my great grandparents on our way to or from California. Usually around Easter or early April. We don’t know why they didn’t end up moving back to Minnesota because they were getting old and weak, but some of our family members are as stubborn as a rock like me at times. Otherwise I only go to my relatives home if the rest of my family does, as of now.

My grandparents always spoil me, but that shouldn’t be the reason why I should go there, it should be to visit. Sometimes when my relatives need any sort of help I usually help out with that whether it may be cutting wood or landscaping, the tougher jobs. Other than that I don’t see my grandparents much anymore which makes me feel guilty for not seeing them or spending time with them enough these days. My goal for the next funeral I go to, which is hopefully not for a while, is to not feel guilty with myself. I want to be like the rest of my family who ask for help when needed and schedule a time to visit or talk.

I've always thought my great grandpa has had a huge impact on my family even though I couldn’t see it at first. I have learned that a family member will always be there for you, some even sacrifice everything so take them for granted and spend as much time with them as possible. Don’t do what I did by not spending enough time with my family. Luckily for me it's not too hard to fix. Also, remember no one is around forever.