Letter to Myself | Teen Ink

Letter to Myself

By woodtay BRONZE, Ionia, Michigan
woodtay BRONZE, Ionia, Michigan

Dear freshman in high school me,

Hey, it’s me, the older you, freshman in college you. You are in for quite a journey. High school is a crazy journey. You will change so much and so will the people around you. But that’s okay. You will be just fine.

You are going to start with nearly perfect grades. Freshman and sophomore year had pretty basic classes that you could pass with ease. But junior year is going to be a huge slap in the face. You will learn that school isn’t always going to be easy and AP classes are going to knock you down. It will be quite a change to see a grade that isn’t an A or even a B+. You will think that the world is coming to an end and think that you can FEEL your class rank slipping but you will make it up your senior year and end up Top 10 and realize all of your worrying was for nothing.

You are going to start with your main three friends who will stick with you until the end which is great. But there will be a few others who love to start drama and go behind your back. You won’t react well to the drama at first but you will realize that your true friends will be there for you and set thing straight and learn not to be so trusting of others.

You are going to have some crushes, awkward “relationships”, and even fall in love. This boy is going to sweep you off of your feet. You will plan your future together and promise each other forever. It will seem like you have finally found the one you were meant to be with for the rest of your life. You will go a strong two years and everything will seem to be going fine. Then he dumps you. Your heart will be shattered and so much drama will be dug up about the situation that will completely destroy you. He will be with a new girl just days later making you feel worthless and question if the whole two years meant anything. But you will walk away so much stronger and realize that despite the horrible ending, it was the best thing that could happen. The relationship wasn’t as great as it seemed and you are both better off apart. You survived something you thought you never could and should be so proud of that.

And now look where we are. First year of college and you have never been happier. You are surrounded by so many new people, new experiences, and boys have shown interest in you! Everything turned out to be just fine. So stop your worrying and learn from every experience you have whether good or bad. Step out of your comfort zone once in awhile and make memories. Don’t take life so seriously all the time. Enjoy the journey.

Sincerely,

You

I was inspired by a writing prompt that I was given in an English class to reflect on my years in high school. It was interesting to think about all the ways that I had changed.