Trees Don't Move | Teen Ink

Trees Don't Move

By Kourtney4 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Kourtney4 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

During the summer of my 3rd grade I remember waking up with no shoes and my helmet off my head and trying to get up but I can’t breathe. I started to panic because I can’t breathe.

Further in the day on a beautiful warm day, during my third grade summer, I knew that dad remained going outside and work on something in the garage. We ate a grilled lunch, and then we went outside. Dad changed the oil in his four-wheeler and worked on the lawn mower. I didn’t really want to watch him. I shouted, “I’m going to ride my four-wheeler.” I went out back to the pasty shed and retrieved my pink camouflage four-wheeler.  I’d enjoying riding it for a year at that point, and it was my second four-wheeler. My first four-wheeler remained red and small, but I advanced out of it. My dad decided to get me a new one because he knew I loved to ride my four-wheeler.

It continued to be just a normal day, and I remained outside, riding my four-wheeler around the yard and doing donuts. Just like my dad taught me how to do. I worked up the courage to jump the creek in my yard. I had been so nervous that my heart remained to pound while I thought about doing it because my dad just taught me how the other day. I thought it remained fun, and I really wanted to work up the courage up to jump it. I went over it a couple times but not that fast, and then I wanted to do some tricks with it. However, I decided to save those for another day. I went out back and traveled into the sandy field that’s located behind my house. The field didn’t have any crops in it, so it didn’t matter that I rode my four-wheeler out here.  After a couple of laps, I started to get bored and wanted to do something else.

First, I decided to get something cold to drink. I fled into the garage and grabbed a cold root beer out of the little fridge in the garage. My dad still worked on his four-wheeler, but I noticed he also had his three-wheeler in the garage. I asked him, “What are you doing with the three-wheeler?” 

He explained, “ I might as well change the oil in the old, rusty three-wheeler since I’m changing it in the four-wheeler since I have everything out.” I jumped back on my four-wheeler and put on my pink camouflage helmet that I always wore when I rode my matching four-wheeler. I never put my charcoal strap on my helmet because it took me forever to take it off, and I didn’t feel like putting up with it. The helmet rested loosely on my head, but I didn’t worry.

I continued riding the four-wheeler around my house, but then I saw that a car continued to come towards me. I started whispering, I want to race that car. I want to beat that car!’ I sat there and waited until they became closer, and I took off when they became closer to me. I didn’t take my eye off the car until I started thinking of the tree that’s located in front of my house. I started to turn my head, and right when I turned my head, I saw the tree. I thought maybe I could hurry up and maneuver out of the way to miss it, but the tree remained too close to it to move. I didn’t let off the gas. I ran right into the tree. I woke up, and my shoe remained five feet away from me. My helmet wasn’t on my head. I stood up and started walking, but I started panicking because I couldn’t breathe.  I started yelling, “I can’t breathe! I can’t breathe!”

My dad ran out of the garage yelling, “Lay down! Lay down!” I lay down and started to calm down and caught my breath. After I regained my breath. My dad took me upstairs and told me to sit down the on the chair and watch some TV. After sitting there for a couple of hours, I had a sharp pain in my wrist, and my head started to hurt. I put cold ice on my wrist and my head because of the soreness.

The next day my whole body started to hurt because I endured soreness. I learned to never look behind while I’m driving a motorized vehicle. However, running into a tree didn’t stop me from riding a four-wheeler. Even though my four-wheeler remained totaled, I still had the opportunity to ride my dad’s four-wheeler. I definitely learned my lesson from that accident and that I should never look behind me while driving.