Young | Teen Ink

Young

By BenRhodes SILVER, Hemet, California
BenRhodes SILVER, Hemet, California

I am the youngest of three children, and being the youngest you'll know that it was not an easy task growing up. Most people that aren't the youngest believe that being the youngest is an easy task because they always get what they want or that you can get away with anything but this is not the case. In some ways this was the way I grew up but it wasn't all fun and games it was a difficult process for a young boy. My experience of being the youngest will never be understood by anyone in my family not even my parents who both grew up the oldest.

One thing I heard and still hear to this day is something along the lines of “Why cant you be more like you're sister?” or “ Your brother never was like that”. Do parents not understand that I am not the same as my siblings, I have the right to my own opinions and thoughts, and not everything has to be done the same way they did it. I grew up with my oldest sibling being my sister so in my parents eyes she was the princess and everything she did was expected to be done at that level of success or higher. Which is kind of difficult because we each have our own strengths and being compared is a little difficult.

One of the biggest downsides to being the youngest is attempting to spend time with older siblings which feels like an impossible task. Now I am not saying that we didn't do things together because we did but when we had our own time to do our activity of choice don’t even think about asking your siblings to play Legos with you. My sister is 13 years older than me and my brother is 7 years older than me which played a big role in our differences, we were all focused on different things like money, or girls, and in my case” when am I going to get a new toy or I want some mac and cheese”. In my opinion I don't think age is the real reason that siblings are so difficult to deal with, I think that it is simply that they are our family and we are around each other most so we get tired of eachother. In the end being the youngest has taught me a lot of good things and my siblings and I have gotten closer through age.