Declaring Independence from Racism | Teen Ink

Declaring Independence from Racism

April 17, 2018
By Sararagab BRONZE, Middletown, New Jersey
Sararagab BRONZE, Middletown, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for a people to exempt themselves of the racist retorts and remarks that unite them, and should fully embody their beliefs and never minimize their own individual pride; an implicit recognition to the oppression that mankind inflicts and, therefore, should declare reasons for separation.


We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created with infinite diverse Beliefs and yet are still created Equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with idiosyncratic religious views and individual beliefs-and of those ought to be religious freedom. Society has instituted generic stereotypes that have led to a Discriminative, divided society whose initial instinct is to Classify one another into the comprehensive stereotypes instilled in them by media-even when subconscious. It has become such a natural first instinct that many are often complicit without realizing. Having said that, the common people have the right to Stand Up for Equality with their positive energy and can easily triumph over the hatred with the greatest power there is-love. Love is the strongest, most potent power, as with it, Positivity and Equality are inevitable. Although racism has been around forever, love can change one’s perception and generate a more Accepting atmosphere. Racism has had immense influence on our society and has been a problem dating back to the colonial era; It has been Prominent all around the world in many different cultures and used in numerous different occurrences and, as a result, has shaped us into a world full of Hatred and self-consciousness. To prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid world.


Racism has promoted the idea of islamophobia and has implanted the idea that one whole religion is violent and it's followers are all radical extremists. This convoluted way of thinking has extinguished society’s perception of reality.

Racism has prompted a constant urge to make changes in oneself, especially characteristics that are irreversible, resulting in eternal dissatisfaction.
Racism has consumed the quality of life, as people’s classifications of one another has driven a divided society.
Racism has influenced mental, physical, and emotional health, as pregnant women have been statistically shown to give birth to babies lower in birth weight if they have been faced with day-to-day discrimination.
Racism has been so common that we face poorer service in restaurants, stores, and other public places, resulting in a mortified victim.
Racism has changed our name to “random search” at the airport and “terrorist” on the streets.
Racism has made people generate unwarranted assumptions of others, neglecting to engage in the shortest interaction possible, exchanging a name. Rather than asking one their name, they assign it based on stereotypes that couldn’t be further from the truth.
Racism has led to erroneous, erratic generalizations that have reinforced a
feeling of inferiority for minorities towards the oppressors.
Racism has been prevalent in the workplace and has created a glass ceiling for minorities; they are constantly unable to progress at the same rate as their counterparts.
Racism has obstructed certain rights such as healthcare and voting.
Racism has infused certain stereotypes in society that are inaccurate and are detrimental to one’s emotional health.
Racism serves to perpetuate, rather than combat our racial stereotypes.
Racism has encouraged others to promote intergroup resentment, making it nearly impossible for a minority to receive the same treatment.
Racism has dramatically increased the amount of minority dropout of educational institutions as a result of exclusion of certain activities.


Racism is embedded in our society early on through the maps we look at to the history we learn at an early age.
Despite the unfair acts placed upon us, we have still attempted to make an effort to combat the issue of racism in a number of different ways. We have protested against the hatred, unanimously. We have volunteered to teach the newest generations to be more open-minded and accepting of people of all ethnicities, religions, and backgrounds, despite the belief system held by the generation that raised them. We have attempted to speak out when we were unceremoniously called out and oppressed by racist retorts and unwanted opinions. We have displayed empathy by giving others the benefit of the doubt and not always associating their hurtful words with ignorance rather than pure lack of knowledge. We have repeatedly tried and will continue to stand up against the rhetoric that reinforces stereotypes. We must, therefore, continue to do anything and everything to fight against racism.


We, therefore, as people of one general population, will work together with unconditional love and acceptance between us and with that, tackle racism together. We will free ourselves from the oppression racism brings by combating it at every chance we get. We will refuse to keep our head down and accept the status quo. We must use our voices and let the atrocities of racism be heard throughout the land. Although racism is not curable, we can stand, unanimously, and fight it together.


The author's comments:

I truly want to bring awareness and I want to shine a light on the issue of racism that affects millions of people, including myself.