Hooked | Teen Ink

Hooked

"We have to go. The dam will be opening soon. You get one more cast," my father nagged.

I look up at the dam that towered over us. Vines raced up its walls that were different shades of gray. Graffiti was boldly painted on, demanding you to look and admire what it was trying to show.

I took my pink pole in my small hands with the lure covered in green, yellow, orange, and white designs and lowered it behind me. I glanced back and saw the plastic fish dangling, crystal cear water dripping from its tail. I lowered it a few inches more, in attempt to launch it farther. I looked back in front of me and picked a spot a few yards down the river before a large oak tree struggling to keep itself rooted in the ground. With all my might, I lunged the lure as far as I could and heard the distant plop as it hit the water.

That wasn't far enough.

I flipped the reel up and let the line thread out as the river took it farther away. Impatienty, I looked at the line as I realed it in as slow as possible.

"Something bite," I snapped at the fish in my head. I heard footsteps behind me.

"Julia, we have to go," he repeated. I gave him a slight acknowledgment but turned my head back to the icy water where my fish lays, waiting for its plastic meal.

I reeled a little quicker, knowing we must leave. I jigged the pole a little to make the plastic fish dance and sparkle its colors. Then, I let it drop to the floor of the river once again.

The line stopped moving. It must have gotten caught on a rock or log at the bottom of the quicky flowing water. I pulled with force to release it from the grasp of whatever had a hold of it. I received a tug in return and my line raced out. This was no rock.

My heart raced as I widened my stance and fought the mystery prize that lurked beneath the water. Its strength was too powerful, it felt as if I were going to be pulled in the water with it.

"Dad, please, take the pole! I feel like my arms are going to fall off!" I exclaimed in defeat.

"Either you catch this fish on your own or you lose it on your own," calmly responded my father.

The power of the fish puled me forward but I pulled back. What felt like an eternity, ws ony a minute or two. I could see the enormous creature meerging from the rushing water; only it didn't look right. It had whiskers.

My father lowered himsef and with a heave, he lifted the catfish out of the water. To my nine year old eyes, it looked to be five feet long. Baffled at what had risen from teh depths of the river, my father dropped it in my arms.

CLICK when the picture and a bright flash to match the suns light.

I hauled my prize up the hill as the water began to let loose from the dam.

I wanted to write about the occurance in my life because it was such a thrill to me. Simply Catching a fish brought me so much joy. This was almost 8 years ago and it is still one of the most vivid memories in my life.