Three Wishes | Teen Ink

Three Wishes

By alyssa_penn BRONZE, Lenexa, Kansas
alyssa_penn BRONZE, Lenexa, Kansas

You are simply granted three wishes, what are they? Most kids ask for a thousand dollars, some ask for a puppy, but the most common wish is “more wishes”. You could say I’m not like most kids, or most 17-year old’s to be exact. I wouldn’t wish for money, or a car, or extra wishes. My wishes have more meaning to them, more emotion. My first wish would be that everyone in the world learns to have a kind heart, to see the good in everyone. I wish that one day, we will see others with our heart and not our eyes, that beauty describes somebodies heart and soul. That beauty will one day not be the content of some one’s face, and body but the kindness of their heart. The world right now is full of so many petty, low-life people who have zero respect for another person. This wish would teach people that just because someone doesn’t look like you, talk like you, or love like you, doesn’t mean they aren’t a good person. There is good in everybody, sometimes found deeper in others. But it takes another kind soul to help that person shine that inner beauty we all have. We need to learn patience with those who don’t learn as quick as us, those who don’t think as quick as us, and those who just aren’t the same as us. We all need to understand that not everybody is the same and that a simple smile and short conversation can make someone day. I wish this world was kind. 

My next wish would be to have a happy and successful life, I want to graduate high school, graduate college, and have a family. I want a successful career that I enjoy and to come home each night loving what I do. Coming home to a loving family that makes me smile. A lot of people I know go to work every day and come home miserable, mad, or hating the way their life is going. I don’t want that feeling, I want to be happy every night when I come home from work to see me family. I want to have a smile on my face at work and at home and have a loving family to lean on when I’m sad or tired. I wish that having a successful job and being happy was more common in today’s age.

I was given three wishes, all of them become more personal than the last. I’ve been wanting to grant this wish since I was 6 years old. This last wish has to do with something I don’t talk about very often, something a lot of people don’t ever talk about. This last wish trumps all other wishes in the world in my eyes. It’s something so close to my heart but If I could, I would travel back in time to a specific day. I would travel back to October 20th, 2004 and live the whole day over. My wish would be to change that day around. On October 20th, 2004, my dad passed away in a car accident. I was only four years old so back then I couldn’t do anything to stop him, but now, at age 17 maybe I could stop him, stop him from drinking, stop him from hanging with his friends, and stop him from getting in the car. This had a huge impact on my life, I have a great dad now, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want my biological dad around still! Most people secretly wish this all time, they just don’t express it or talk about it. It’s something people are uncomfortable talking about it, but it’s something so important. Losing a loved one is never going to be easy, and this secret wish will stay with you forever, I would love if I could I would go back to that day and change it.

All three of these wishes are extremely important to me and if I could make them all come true I would. Like I said, most wishes made by kids my age include, money, cars, and of course more wishes. I like to think I have a mature heart and old soul. My wishes are more heart felt and well thought out. I have so many things I wish to change about this world, to get people to be happy and healthy, and to cure cancer. To be loved by everyone, and of course I wish the silly things as well, like I wish I could eat all the junk food in the world without getting fat, but I would love to have these three wishes come true if I had the opportunity.

at school we are required to write short stories or write about topics that she provides. at the end of the semeter, we write an extension on one of the short stories and turn in as an essay. i decided it would be cool to see if this article could get submitted like my last.