Family Thanksgiving | Teen Ink

Family Thanksgiving

January 11, 2018
By rolyatlegap BRONZE, Macon, Illinois
rolyatlegap BRONZE, Macon, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Thanksgiving is my second favorite holiday, behind Christmas of course. Thanksgiving is so much fun because I get to go to Nebraska and hang out with the family that we only get to see once a year. Although it is fun, we have to cook food for the whole family in a very small kitchen. Spending time with my family makes up for the struggles though. But when we are all done eating we all give thanks, which is the whole point of Thanksgiving.


  Even though getting out of Illinois is great, Nebraska isn’t any better. We all know that Illinois is full of corn and soybean fields, but so is Nebraska. At least in Illinois, there are some trees and other plants, but it seems like Nebraska is nothing but cornfields. Away from all of the fields is my grandparent's house. They live in a trailer because they are getting older and they don’t want to clean a giant house. The house is really nice and it brings my mom's whole family together to have a great Thanksgiving.  Another thing that brings us together is football. We always watch the Vikings game one night and then on Thanksgiving we watch Nebraska play Iowa. Even though Nebraska isn’t very good we always cheer them on at the house or actually at the game at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln.


Lincoln is so much fun especially when you get super bored at the house. When we are bored, my grandparents and I usually draw or talk about sports. My grandma is such an amazing artist, you can tell her to draw something and it will look exactly like what you told her to draw. We love to draw together, it brings the whole family joy. Sometime after we get to Nebraska my cousins come also. One of my cousin lives in Louisiana so he doesn’t really come a lot, but my other cousin lives in Nebraska with her boyfriend and her son. The person I love the most is my uncle. He is super funny and always brings me and siblings things, or we go to his house and play with his barn cats. We spend most of our time with our cousins when they come because they know what a younger person likes to do, unlike my grandparents.


Since my grandparents are older they don’t want to cook for the whole family and they don’t normally have all that we need, so we have to go to the store and buy the ingredients. After we come home with the food, me, my sister, and my mom cook all of the food. Sometimes my cousin brings food from her house and she cooks that also so my family doesn’t have to make all of the food. It is a lot of work, but it is totally worth it in the end.
    

After we eat our food we go around the table and we all say what we are thankful for. I say that I am thankful for such a great family and how much I love them. I always am ready for Thanksgiving because I get to see my family and get to fun things with them, that I normally don’t get to do when I’m at home.