Ocean Adventure | Teen Ink

Ocean Adventure

By lgarver BRONZE, Maumee, Ohio
lgarver BRONZE, Maumee, Ohio

The moment I step onto the beach, my foot gets swallowed by the sand and I quickly feel the warmth flow through my body.  I make my way across the hot sand searching for an open area for my whole family to relax.  As we get closer to the ocean, I hear the roar of the waves crashing, getting louder and louder, and the smell of sunscreen become more apparent.  When we find a spot, I set my towel in between a brightly colored lifeguard hut and my sister.  As I am laying there, I look up and see nothing but miles of bright blue sky in every direction.  I can smell the fresh ocean scent of salt dancing in the air.  In the distance is the pier stretching across the sparkling ocean holding up smiling tourists admiring the view.  This entire time the heat is beating down on my skin as if the sun was hugging me.  Once in awhile I feel a slight breeze blow by, temporarily relieving me from the hot sun.  Laying on the bed of sand is so peaceful that all my worries fade away.

After a while of tanning, I grab my boogie board and run toward the vast ocean with my sister and brother.  We reach the wet sand and watch the water wondrously wash our feet.  It is as cold as ice.  Then we rush into the refreshing water feeling the seashells between our toes on our way in.  I rest one arm on the board and let one sway with water as the seaweed tickles my legs underneath.  I look out and admire the beautiful city skyline of hotels as the day slowly fades into night.  Next to us are children laughing as they splash one another with great enjoyment.  My sister, brother, and I all take turns using the board to share the unique experience of moving with the ocean.  As I wait for my turn, I look down through the clear blue water and see millions of fish swim around.  I also watch thousands of boats glide back and forth across the horizon line.  When they were done, I took the board and felt the waves rise above me and push me toward the crowd of people on the beach.  As the waves surround me, the water sprays my face and fills my mouth with the taste of the salty ocean water.

As I head back to them, my sister signals to look past her.  I look up to find the sky that was once as blue as the ocean is now an explosion of bright colors.  The colors of red and yellow blended together creating a bright orange burst that contrasts against the blue ocean.  We then trudge back to my mom laying next to the hut, to dry off and sit down on the sand.  We all enjoy the painting of colors continuously changing in front of us with the sound of calm waves rolling over the shore playing in the background.  Eventually it all fades away as if God dipped his paintbrush in black paint and swiped it across the sky leaving only tiny yellow dots behind.  As the day was coming to a close, we walked across the trail toward out hotel entrance lined with palm trees as tall as skyscrapers, while reminiscing about our perfect day at the beach.

My inspiration for this piece is when my family and I all traveled to South Miami Beach, Florida in the summer. The whole time we were there, we just enjoyed each other's company in the 'perfect paradise' setting. Everything seemed perfect down there and as if there were no responsibilities or worries to think about. The sand was white and soft, the ocean was clear, the people were friendly, and the views were amazing. We had such a good time that I wanted to express a part of our experience with this story.