The Best Gift I've Ever Received | Teen Ink

The Best Gift I've Ever Received

March 7, 2018
By abaldwin37 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
abaldwin37 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was a nice autumn Saturday afternoon, October 11th to be exact. It was my twelfth  birthday, and I was ready to sleep away the whole day, of course only after I ate my dark chocolate chip pancakes. It was only then, when I was comfortable wrapped up like a burrito in my blanket, someone was knocking on my door. I wasn’t expecting anyone, so I ignored the knocks.


“Abbey, open up!” a voice I barely hear anymore yelled at me.
“Why do people want to keep bothering me?” I yelled back.


I rolled out of my burrito and opened my door. To my surprise, there stood Kayla. I stood there, dumbfounded, and just stared at her. We used to be pretty good friends, and then our parents had a falling out. I was in disbelief she was here, standing in my lilac-colored room that was covered in posters. After realizing I was just staring, I quickly pulled her in for a hug and started jumping. My grandma-made pajamas were suddenly embarrassing compared to her yellow shirt paired with cute black ankle boots. I decided that Sunday could be my nap day and dressed myself. I put on my peach long sleeved shirt and a pair of blue jeans, yet my outfit still wasn’t as cute as hers.


While we were catching up, my older sister was getting ready for homecoming. It was kind of depressing that it was my birthday, and yet I still didn’t get any attention from my mom. All eyes were on her, but I mean what was new? Honestly, I was just ready for the day to be over with. Kayla became annoying after awhile, always talking about herself and boys. Kayla and I only have a little bit in common, and they’re all bands.


One big boyband we love is One Direction, and I had already been to two of their concerts. I even took Kayla to one with me. Their opening act for both those concerts were 5 Seconds of Summer, and I fell head over heels for them. Kayla wasn’t as hardcore as I, but we could still hardcore jam to them together. The boys, 5 Seconds of Summer, were going on their own first world tour. I didn’t have high hopes for tickets, only because I already saw One Direction that same year and the year before that.


After a while I thought I heard my grandma’s voice, so I wanted to see what was going on. Once we went out to the living room, I heard a loud surprise.


“Come join the party, girls,” my grandpa told us, and that’s what we did. The main reason it was party was because my mom made her cheesy potatoes. Everybody loves her potatoes, They’re like lemonade in the summertime. The best part was I received vanilla cake with vanilla frosting. After the cake, it was time for presents.
“Open mine first,” my aunt instructed me with a bigger smile than Ronald McDonald. I did what I was told. The huge box that had her name on it was filled with another box and another box. The boxes kept going.
“Geeze, when will this ever end?” I asked.
“Just keep going!” my grandma somewhat answered my question.
Finally, I reached the last box. When I opened it, I saw a piece of paper.
‘Why would I be getting a piece of paper?’ I thought to myself.


I grabbed it and on it it said, “Turn Around.” That’s what I did. There in my aunt’s hands were two tickets to 5 Seconds of Summer. That August my aunt and I went to Cleveland and saw the best band ever.